|Product||Product Code||Request Quote|
|(5N) 99.999% Iron Disulfide Powder||FE2S2-05-P||Request Quote|
|(5N) 99.999% Iron Disulfide Ingot||FE2S2-05-I||Request Quote|
|(5N) 99.999% Iron Disulfide Chunk||FE2S2-05-CK||Request Quote|
|(5N) 99.999% Iron Disulfide Lump||FE2S2-05-L||Request Quote|
|(5N) 99.999% Iron Disulfide Sputtering Target||FE2S2-05-ST||Request Quote|
|(5N) 99.999% Iron Disulfide Wafer||FE2S2-05-WSX||Request Quote|
|Formula||CAS No.||PubChem CID||MDL No.||EC No||IUPAC Name||Beilstein
|PROPERTIES||Compound Formula||Mol. Wt.||Appearance||Melting Point||Boiling Point||Density||Exact Mass||Monoisotopic Mass||Charge||MSDS|
|FeS2||119.975||dark gray to black metallic solid||N/A||N/A||4.7-4.87 g/cm3||119.879083||119.879082 Da||0||Safety Data Sheet|
Iron Sulfide is a moderately water and acid soluble Iron source for uses compatible with sulfates. Sulfate compounds are salts or esters of sulfuric acid formed by replacing one or both of the hydrogens with a metal. Most metal sulfate compounds are readily soluble in water for uses such as water treatment, unlike fluorides and oxides which tend to be insoluble. Organometallic forms are soluble in organic solutions and sometimes in both aqueous and organic solutions. Metallic ions can also be dispersed utilizing suspended or coated nanoparticles and deposited utilizing sputtering targets and evaporation materials for uses such as solar energy materials and fuel cells. Iron Sulfide is generally immediately available in most volumes. Ultra high purity and high purity compositions improve both optical quality and usefulness as scientific standards. Nanoscale elemental powders and suspensions, as alternative high surface area forms, may be considered. American Elements produces to many standard grades when applicable, including Mil Spec (military grade); ACS, Reagent and Technical Grade; Food, Agricultural and Pharmaceutical Grade; Optical Grade, USP and EP/BP (European Pharmacopoeia/British Pharmacopoeia) and follows applicable ASTM testing standards. Typical and custom packaging is available. Additional technical, research and safety (MSDS) information is available as is a Reference Calculator for converting relevant units of measurement.
Iron (atomic symbol: Fe, atomic number: 26) is a Block D, Group 8, Period 4 element with an atomic weight of 55.845. The number of electrons in each of Iron's shells is 2, 8, 14, 2 and its electron configuration is [Ar] 3d6 4s2. The iron atom has a radius of 126 pm and a Van der Waals radius of 194 pm. Iron was discovered by humans before 5000 BC. In its elemental form, iron has a lustrous grayish metallic appearance. Iron is the fourth most common element in the Earth's crust and the most common element by mass forming the earth as a whole. Iron is rarely found as a free element, since it tends to oxidize easily; it is usually found in minerals such as magnetite, hematite, goethite, limonite, or siderite. Though pure iron is typically soft, the addition of carbon creates the alloy known as steel, which is significantly stronger. For more information on iron, including properties, safety data, research, and American Elements' catalog of iron products, visit the Iron element page.
Sulfur or Sulphur (atomic symbol: S, atomic number: 16) is a Block P, Group 16, Period 3 element with an atomic radius of 32.066. The number of electrons in each of Sulfur's shells is 2, 8, 6 and its electron configuration is [Ne] 3s2 3p4. In its elemental form, sulfur has a light yellow appearance. The sulfur atom has a covalent radius of 105 pm and a Van der Waals radius of 180 pm. In nature, sulfur can be found in hot springs, meteorites, volcanoes, and as galena, gypsum, and epsom salts. Sulfur has been known since ancient times but was not accepted as an element until 1777, when Antoine Lavoisier helped to convince the scientific community that it was an element and not a compound. For more information on sulfur, including properties, safety data, research, and American Elements' catalog of sulfur products, visit the Sulfur element page.
|HEALTH, SAFETY & TRANSPORTATION INFORMATION|
|Material Safety Data Sheet||MSDS|
|Globally Harmonized System of
Classification and Labelling (GHS)
|IRON DISULFIDE SYNONYMS|
|Iron(II) disulfide, Iron disulphide, Marcasite (CAS 1317-66-4 ), Hydropyrite, Iron(2+) disulfide, 23949-99-7, 58440-06-5|
|CUSTOMERS FOR IRON DISULFIDE HAVE ALSO LOOKED AT|
|Iron Pellets||Iron Oxide||Iron Nitrate||Iron Oxide Pellets||Iron Nanoparticles|
|Iron Chloride||Iron Acetylacetonate||Iron Bars||Iron Foil||Aluminum Iron Alloy|
|Zirconium Scandium Iron Alloy||Iron Fluoride||Iron Metal||Iron Acetate||Iron Sputtering Target|
|Show Me MORE Forms of Iron|
|PACKAGING SPECIFICATIONS FOR BULK & RESEARCH QUANTITIES|
|Typical bulk packaging includes palletized plastic 5 gallon/25 kg. pails, fiber and steel drums to 1 ton super sacks in full container (FCL) or truck load (T/L) quantities. Research and sample quantities and hygroscopic, oxidizing or other air sensitive materials may be packaged under argon or vacuum. Shipping documentation includes a Certificate of Analysis and Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS). Solutions are packaged in polypropylene, plastic or glass jars up to palletized 440 gallon liquid totes.|
Recent Research & Development for Iron
- Iron Prevents the Development of Experimental Cerebral Malaria by Attenuating CXCR3-Mediated T Cell Chemotaxis. Van Den Ham KM, Shio MT, Rainone A, Fournier S, Krawczyk CM, Olivier M. PLoS One. 2015 Mar 13
- Virtual iron concentration imaging based on dual-energy CT for noninvasive quantification and grading of liver iron content: An iron overload rabbit model study. Luo XF, Yang Y, Yan J, Xie XQ, Zhang H, Chai WM, Wang L, Schmidt B, Yan FH. Eur Radiol. 2015 Mar 15.
- Parenteral iron therapy in the treatment of iron deficiency anemia during pregnancy: a randomized controlled trial. Tariq N, Ayub R, Khan WU, Ijaz S, Alam AY. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak. 2015 Mar
- Effects of Iron Overload on the Bone Marrow Microenvironment in Mice. Zhang Y, Zhai W, Zhao M, Li D, Chai X, Cao X, Meng J, Chen J, Xiao X, Li Q, Mu J, Shen J, Meng A. PLoS One. 2015 Mar 16
- An antioxidant-like action for non-peroxidisable phospholipids using ferrous iron as a peroxidation initiator. Cortie CH, Else PL. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2015 Mar 11.
- A Comparative Study of Iron Uptake Rates and Mechanisms amongst Marine and Fresh Water Cyanobacteria: Prevalence of Reductive Iron Uptake. Lis H, Kranzler C, Keren N, Shaked Y. Life (Basel). 2015 Mar 11
- Micron-sized iron oxide-containing particles for microRNA-targeted manipulation and MRI-based tracking of transplanted cells. Leder A, Raschzok N, Schmidt C, Arabacioglu D, Butter A, Kolano S, de Sousa Lisboa LS, Werner W, Polenz D, Reutzel-Selke A, Pratschke J, Sauer IM. Biomaterials. 2015 May
- The limitations of applying zero-valent iron technology in contaminants sequestration and the corresponding countermeasures: The development in zero-valent iron technology in the last two decades (1994-2014). Guan X, Sun Y, Qin H, Li J, Lo IM, He D, Dong H. Water Res. 2015 Feb 28
- The effects of iron limitation and cell density on prokaryotic metabolism and gene expression: Excerpts from Fusobacterium necrophorum strain 774 (sheep isolate). Antiabong JF, Ball AS, Brown MH. Gene. 2015 Mar 12.
- Removal of hexavalent chromium from aqueous solutions using micro zero-valent iron supported by bentonite layer. Daoud W, Ebadi T, Fahimifar A. Water Sci Technol. 2015 Mar
- Heparin-Engineered Mesoporous Iron Metal-Organic Framework Nanoparticles: Toward Stealth Drug Nanocarriers. Bellido E, Hidalgo T, Lozano MV, Guillevic M, Simón-Vázquez R, Santander-Ortega MJ, González-Fernández Á, Serre C, Alonso MJ, Horcajada P. Adv Healthc Mater. 2015 Mar 12.
- Iron misregulation and neurodegenerative disease in mouse models that lack iron regulatory proteins. Ghosh MC, Zhang L, Rouault TA. Neurobiol Dis. 2015 Mar 11.
- How to choose a precursor for decomposition solution-phase synthesis: the case of iron nanoparticles. Herman DA, Cheong-Tilley S, McGrath AJ, McVey BF, Lein M, Tilley RD. Nanoscale. 2015 Mar 16.
- Iron Supplementation Attenuates the Inflammatory Status of Anemic Piglets by Regulating Hepcidin. Pu Y, Guo B, Liu D, Xiong H, Wang Y, Du H. Biol Trace Elem Res. 2015 Mar 14.
- Redox speciation analysis of dissolved iron in estuarine and coastal waters with on-line solid phase extraction and graphite furnace atomic absorption spectrometry detection. Chen Y, Feng S, Huang Y, Yuan D. Talanta. 2015 May
- Preparation of magnetic core-shell iron oxide-silica-nickel-ethylene glycol microspheres for highly efficient sorption of uranium(vi). Tan L, Zhang X, Liu Q, Wang J, Sun Y, Jing X, Liu J, Song D, Liu L. Dalton Trans. 2015 Mar 16.
- Genetic and biochemical investigations of the role of MamP in redox control of iron biomineralization in Magnetospirillum magneticum. Jones SR, Wilson TD, Brown ME, Rahn-Lee L, Yu Y, Fredriksen LL, Ozyamak E, Komeili A, Chang MC. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015 Mar 16.
- Redox-activity and self-organization of iron-porphyrin monolayers at a copper/electrolyte interface. Phan TH, Wandelt K. J Chem Phys. 2015 Mar 14
Recent Research & Development for Sulfides
- Reduction of acid rock drainage using steel slag in cover systems over sulfide rock waste piles. de Almeida RP, Leite AD, Borghetti Soares A. Waste Manag Res. 2015 Mar 6.
- Cu(In,Ga)(S,Se)2 Thin Film Solar Cell with 10.7 % Conversion Efficiency Obtained by Selenization of the Na-doped Spray-Pyrolyzed Sulfide Precursor Film. Septina W, Kurihara M, Ikeda S, Nakajima Y, Hirano T, Kawasaki Y, Harada T, Matsumura M. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces. 2015 Mar 16.
- Impact of reduced water consumption on sulfide and methane production in rising main sewers. Sun J, Hu S, Sharma KR, Bustamante H, Yuan Z. J Environ Manage. 2015 Mar 5
- Endogenous Prostaglandins and Afferent Sensory Nerves in Gastroprotective Effect of Hydrogen Sulfide against Stress-Induced Gastric Lesions. Magierowski M, Jasnos K, Kwiecien S, Drozdowicz D, Surmiak M, Strzalka M, Ptak-Belowska A, Wallace JL, Brzozowski T. PLoS One. 2015 Mar 16
- Effects of Hydrogen Sulfide on Modulation of Theta-Gamma Coupling in Hippocampus in Vascular Dementia Rats. Xu X, Liu C, Li Z, Zhang T. Brain Topogr. 2015 Mar 14.
- Room-temperature phosphorescence determination of melamine in dairy products using l-cysteine-capped Mn-doped zinc sulfide (ZnS) quantum dots. Demirhan BE, Demirhan B, Kara HE. J Dairy Sci. 2015 Mar 11.
- Tadalafil Integrates Nitric Oxide-Hydrogen Sulfide Signaling to Inhibit High Glucose-Induced Matrix Protein Synthesis in Podocytes. Lee HJ, Feliers D, Mariappan M, Sataranatarajan K, Ghosh Choudhury G, Gorin Y, Kasinath BS. J Biol Chem. 2015 Mar 9.
- Role of hydrogen sulfide within the dorsal motor nucleus of the vagus in the control of gastric function in rats. Sun HZ, Yu KH, Ai HB. Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2015 Mar 14.
- Hydrogen sulfide maintains mitochondrial DNA replication via demethylation of TFAM. Li S, Yang G. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2015 Mar 10.
- Facile assembly of oppositely charged silver sulfide nanoparticles into photoluminescent mesoporous nanospheres. Tan L, Liu S, Yang Q, Shen YM. Langmuir. 2015 Mar 15.
- Cinnamaldehyde promotes root branching by regulating endogenous hydrogen sulfide. Xue YF, Zhang M, Qi ZQ, Li YQ, Shi Z, Chen J. J Sci Food Agric. 2015 Mar 6.
- Severe hydrogen sulfide intoxication treated with therapeutic hypothermia: a case report. Wu SH, Chen KF, Chan YL. Am J Emerg Med. 2015 Feb 20.
- BDNF-TrkB Pathway Mediates Neuroprotection of Hydrogen Sulfide against Formaldehyde-Induced Toxicity to PC12 Cells. Jiang JM, Zhou CF, Gao SL, Tian Y, Wang CY, Wang L, Gu HF, Tang XQ. PLoS One. 2015 Mar 6
- Hydrogen sulfide mitigates homocysteine-mediated pathological remodeling by inducing miR-133a in cardiomyocytes. Kesherwani V, Nandi SS, Sharawat SK, Shahshahan HR, Mishra PK. Mol Cell Biochem. 2015 Mar 13.
- Hydrogen sulfide improves cardiomyocytes electrical remodeling post ischemia/reperfusion injury in rats. Sun YG, Wang XY, Chen X, Shen CX, Li YG. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2015 Jan 1
- Matrix metalloproteinases in atherosclerosis: role of nitric oxide, hydrogen sulfide, homocysteine, and polymorphisms. Vacek TP, Rehman S, Neamtu D, Yu S, Givimani S, Tyagi SC. Vasc Health Risk Manag. 2015 Feb 27
- Cadmium sulfide quantum dots induce oxydative-stress and behavioural impairments in the marine clam Scrobicularia plana. Buffet PE, Zalouk-Vergnoux A, Poirier L, Lopes C, Risso-de Faverney C, Guibbolini M, Gilliland D, Perrein-Ettajani H, Valsami-Jones E, Mouneyrac C. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2015 Mar 13.
- Study and modeling of the evolution of gas-liquid partitioning of hydrogen sulfide in model solutions simulating winemaking fermentations. Mouret JR, Sablayrolles JM, Farines V. J Agric Food Chem. 2015 Mar 12.
- Denitrifying sulfide removal process on high-salinity wastewaters. Liu C, Zhao C, Wang A, Guo Y, Lee DJ. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2015 Mar 17.
- Hexametaphosphate-Capped Silica Mesoporous Nanoparticles Containing CuII Complexes for the Selective and Sensitive Optical Detection of Hydrogen Sulfide in Water. El Sayed S, Milani M, Licchelli M, Martínez-Máñez R, Sancenón F. Chemistry. 2015 Mar 10.