|Product||Product Code||Request Quote|
|(2N) 99% Molybdenum Sulfide||MO-S-02||Request Quote|
|(2N5) 99.5% Molybdenum Sulfide||MO-S-025||Request Quote|
|(3N) 99.9% Molybdenum Sulfide||MO-S-03||Request Quote|
|(3N5) 99.95% Molybdenum Sulfide||MO-S-035||Request Quote|
|(4N) 99.99% Molybdenum Sulfide||MO-S-04||Request Quote|
|(5N) 99.999% Molybdenum Sulfide||MO-S-05||Request Quote|
|Formula||CAS No.||PubChem SID||PubChem CID||MDL No.||EC No||IUPAC Name||Beilstein
|PROPERTIES||Compound Formula||Mol. Wt.||Appearance||Melting Point||Boiling Point||Density||Exact Mass||Monoisotopic Mass||Charge||MSDS|
|MoS2||160.07||black solid||1,185° C
|N/A||5.06 g/cm3||161.849549||161.849549||0||Safety Data Sheet|
Molybdenum Sulfide or Molybdenum Disulfide is a moderately water and acid soluble Molybdenum source for uses compatible with sulfates. Sulfate compounds are salts or esters of sulfuric acid formed by replacing one or both of the hydrogens with a metal. Most metal sulfate compounds are readily soluble in water for uses such as water treatment, unlike fluorides and oxides which tend to be insoluble. Organometallic forms are soluble in organic solutions and sometimes in both aqueous and organic solutions. Metallic ions can also be dispersed utilizing suspended or coated nanoparticles () and deposited utilizing sputtering targets and evaporation materials for uses such as solar energy materials and fuel cells. Molybdenum Sulfide is generally immediately available in most volumes. Ultra high purity and high purity compositions improve both optical quality and usefulness as scientific standards. Nanoscale elemental powders and suspensions, as alternative high surface area forms, may be considered. American Elements produces to many standard grades when applicable, including Mil Spec (military grade); ACS, Reagent and Technical Grade; Food, Agricultural and Pharmaceutical Grade; Optical Grade, USP and EP/BP (European Pharmacopeia/British Pharmacopeia) and follows applicable ASTM testing standards. Additional technical, research and safety (MSDS) information is available as is a Reference Calculator for converting relevant units of measurement.
Molybdenum (atomic symbol: Mo, atomic number: 42) is a Block D, Group 6, Period 5 element with an atomic weight of 95.96. The number of electrons in each of molybdenum's shells is [2, 8, 18, 13, 1] and its electron configuration is [Kr] 4d5 5s1. The molybdenum atom has a radius of 139 pm and a Van der Waals radius of 209 pm. In its elemental form, molybdenum has a gray metallic appearance. Molybdenum was discovered by Carl Wilhelm in 1778 and first isolated by Peter Jacob Hjelm in 1781. Molybdenum is the 54th most abundant element in the earth's crust. It has the third highest melting point of any element, exceeded only by tungsten and tantalum. Molybdenum does not occur naturally as a free metal, it is found in various oxidation states in minerals. The primary commercial source of molybdenum is molybdenite, although it is also recovered as a byproduct of copper and tungsten mining. The origin of the name Molybdenum comes from the Greek word molubdos meaning lead. For more information on molybdenum, including properties, safety data, research, and American Elements' catalog of molybdenum products, visit the Molybdenum element page.
Sulfur or Sulphur (atomic symbol: S, atomic number: 16) is a Block P, Group 16, Period 3 element with an atomic radius of 32.066. The number of electrons in each of Sulfur's shells is 2, 8, 6 and its electron configuration is [Ne] 3s2 3p4. In its elemental form, sulfur has a light yellow appearance. The sulfur atom has a covalent radius of 105 pm and a Van der Waals radius of 180 pm. In nature, sulfur can be found in hot springs, meteorites, volcanoes, and as galena, gypsum, and epsom salts. Sulfur has been known since ancient times but was not accepted as an element until 1777, when Antoine Lavoisier helped to convince the scientific community that it was an element and not a compound. For more information on sulfur, including properties, safety data, research, and American Elements' catalog of sulfur products, visit the Sulfur element page.
|HEALTH, SAFETY & TRANSPORTATION INFORMATION|
|Material Safety Data Sheet||MSDS|
|Globally Harmonized System of
Classification and Labelling (GHS)
|MOLYBDENUM SULFIDE SYNONYMS|
|Molybdenum(IV) sulfide, Molybdenite, Molykote, hydrogen sulfide; molybdenum, Molybdenum disulphide, Molykote, bis(sulfanylidene)molybdenum, Molysulfide, Nichimoly C, Sumipowder PA, Molykote Z, disulfanylidene molybdenum, dithioxomolybdenum, molybdenum disulfide|
|PACKAGING SPECIFICATIONS FOR BULK & RESEARCH QUANTITIES|
|Typical bulk packaging includes palletized plastic 5 gallon/25 kg. pails, fiber and steel drums to 1 ton super sacks in full container (FCL) or truck load (T/L) quantities. Research and sample quantities and hygroscopic, oxidizing or other air sensitive materials may be packaged under argon or vacuum. Shipping documentation includes a Certificate of Analysis and Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS). Solutions are packaged in polypropylene, plastic or glass jars up to palletized 440 gallon liquid totes.|
Recent Research & Development for Molybdenum
- Molybdenum Carbide Nanocatalysts at work in the In-situ Environment: a DFTB and QM(DFTB)/MM Study. Liu X, Salahub DR. J Am Chem Soc. 2015 Mar 16.
- Investigation of molybdenum cofactor deficiency due to MOCS2 deficiency in a newborn baby. Edwards M, Roeper J, Allgood C, Chin R, Santamaria J, Wong F, Schwarz G, Whitehall J. Meta Gene. 2015 Jan 31
- Cloning and functional validation of molybdenum cofactor sulfurase gene from Ammopiptanthus nanus. Yu HQ, Zhang YY, Yong TM, Liu YP, Zhou SF, Fu FL, Li WC. Plant Cell Rep. 2015 Feb 27.
- Evolution of molybdenum nitrogenase during the transition from anaerobic to aerobic metabolism. Boyd ES, Garcia Costas AM, Hamilton TL, Mus F, Peters JW. J Bacteriol. 2015 Mar 2.
- Well-constructed single-layer molybdenum disulfide nanorose cross-linked by three dimensional-reduced graphene oxide network for superior water splitting and lithium storage property. Zhao Y, Kuai L, Liu Y, Wang P, Arandiyan H, Cao S, Zhang J, Li F, Wang Q, Geng B, Sun H. Sci Rep. 2015 Mar 4
- Exploring atomic defects in molybdenum disulphide monolayers. Hong J, Hu Z, Probert M, Li K, Lv D, Yang X, Gu L, Mao N, Feng Q, Xie L, Zhang J, Wu D, Zhang Z, Jin C, Ji W, Zhang X, Yuan J, Zhang Z. Nat Commun. 2015 Feb 19
- C-terminal glycine-gated radical initiation by GTP 3',8-cyclase in the molybdenum cofactor biosynthesis. Hover BM, Yokoyama K. J Am Chem Soc. 2015 Mar 11
- Spin currents and filtering behavior in zigzag graphene nanoribbons with adsorbed molybdenum chains. García-Fuente A, Gallego LJ, Vega A. J Phys Condens Matter. 2015 Mar 13
- Enantioselective Synthesis of Macrocyclic Heterobiaryl Derivatives of Molecular Asymmetry by Molybdenum-Catalyzed Asymmetric Ring-Closing Metathesis. Okayama Y, Tsuji S, Toyomori Y, Mori A, Arae S, Wu WY, Takahashi T, Ogasawara M. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl. 2015 Feb 23.
- Fate and Transport of Molybdenum Disulfide Nanomaterials in Sand Columns. Lanphere JD, Luth CJ, Guiney LM, Mansukhani ND, Hersam MC, Walker SL. Environ Eng Sci. 2015 Feb 1
- Molybdenum deprivation, purine ingestion and an astrocyte-associated motor neurone syndrome in sheep: assumed clinical effects of inosine. Bourke C. Aust Vet J. 2015 Mar
- Ligand assisted carbon dioxide activation and hydrogenation using molybdenum and tungsten amides. Chakraborty S, Blacque O, Berke H. Dalton Trans. 2015 Mar 10.
- Annealing and transport studies of suspended molybdenum disulfide devices. Wang F, Stepanov P, Gray M, Ning Lau C. Nanotechnology. 2015 Mar 13
- Interlayer-expanded molybdenum disulfide nanocomposites for electrochemical magnesium storage. Liang Y, Yoo HD, Li Y, Shuai J, Calderon HA, Robles Hernandez FC, Grabow LC, Yao Y. Nano Lett. 2015 Mar 11
- Ultra-orphan diseases: a quantitative analysis of the natural history of molybdenum cofactor deficiency. Mechler K, Mountford WK, Hoffmann GF, Ries M. Genet Med. 2015 Mar 12.
- Photophysical Studies of Metal to Ligand Charge Transfer Involving Quadruply Bonded Complexes of Molybdenum and Tungsten. Chisholm MH, Brown-Xu SE, Spilker TF. Acc Chem Res. 2015 Feb 19.
- High-Performance Hybrid Buffer Layer Using 1,4,5,8,9,11-Hexaazatriphenylenehexacarbonitrile/Molybdenum Oxide in Inverted Top-Emitting Organic Light-Emitting Diodes. Park CH, Lee HJ, Hwang JH, Kim KN, Shim YS, Jung SG, Park CH, Park YW, Ju BK. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces. 2015 Mar 11.
- Better Catalysts through Microscopy: Mesoscale M1/M2 Intergrowth in Molybdenum-Vanadium Based Complex Oxide Catalysts for Propane Ammoxidation. He Q, Woo J, Belianinov A, Guliants VV, Borisevich AY. ACS Nano. 2015 Mar 11.
- Spatial distribution patterns of molybdenum (Mo) concentrations in potable groundwater in Northern Jordan. Al Kuisi M, Al-Hwaiti M, Mashal K, Abed AM. Environ Monit Assess. 2015 Mar
- Porous molybdenum carbide nano-octahedrons synthesized via confined carburization in metal-organic frameworks for efficient hydrogen production. Wu HB, Xia BY, Yu L, Yu XY, Lou XW. Nat Commun. 2015 Mar 11
Recent Research & Development for Sulfides
- Reduction of acid rock drainage using steel slag in cover systems over sulfide rock waste piles. de Almeida RP, Leite AD, Borghetti Soares A. Waste Manag Res. 2015 Mar 6.
- Cu(In,Ga)(S,Se)2 Thin Film Solar Cell with 10.7 % Conversion Efficiency Obtained by Selenization of the Na-doped Spray-Pyrolyzed Sulfide Precursor Film. Septina W, Kurihara M, Ikeda S, Nakajima Y, Hirano T, Kawasaki Y, Harada T, Matsumura M. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces. 2015 Mar 16.
- Impact of reduced water consumption on sulfide and methane production in rising main sewers. Sun J, Hu S, Sharma KR, Bustamante H, Yuan Z. J Environ Manage. 2015 Mar 5
- Endogenous Prostaglandins and Afferent Sensory Nerves in Gastroprotective Effect of Hydrogen Sulfide against Stress-Induced Gastric Lesions. Magierowski M, Jasnos K, Kwiecien S, Drozdowicz D, Surmiak M, Strzalka M, Ptak-Belowska A, Wallace JL, Brzozowski T. PLoS One. 2015 Mar 16
- Effects of Hydrogen Sulfide on Modulation of Theta-Gamma Coupling in Hippocampus in Vascular Dementia Rats. Xu X, Liu C, Li Z, Zhang T. Brain Topogr. 2015 Mar 14.
- Room-temperature phosphorescence determination of melamine in dairy products using l-cysteine-capped Mn-doped zinc sulfide (ZnS) quantum dots. Demirhan BE, Demirhan B, Kara HE. J Dairy Sci. 2015 Mar 11.
- Tadalafil Integrates Nitric Oxide-Hydrogen Sulfide Signaling to Inhibit High Glucose-Induced Matrix Protein Synthesis in Podocytes. Lee HJ, Feliers D, Mariappan M, Sataranatarajan K, Ghosh Choudhury G, Gorin Y, Kasinath BS. J Biol Chem. 2015 Mar 9.
- Role of hydrogen sulfide within the dorsal motor nucleus of the vagus in the control of gastric function in rats. Sun HZ, Yu KH, Ai HB. Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2015 Mar 14.
- Hydrogen sulfide maintains mitochondrial DNA replication via demethylation of TFAM. Li S, Yang G. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2015 Mar 10.
- Facile assembly of oppositely charged silver sulfide nanoparticles into photoluminescent mesoporous nanospheres. Tan L, Liu S, Yang Q, Shen YM. Langmuir. 2015 Mar 15.
- Cinnamaldehyde promotes root branching by regulating endogenous hydrogen sulfide. Xue YF, Zhang M, Qi ZQ, Li YQ, Shi Z, Chen J. J Sci Food Agric. 2015 Mar 6.
- Severe hydrogen sulfide intoxication treated with therapeutic hypothermia: a case report. Wu SH, Chen KF, Chan YL. Am J Emerg Med. 2015 Feb 20.
- BDNF-TrkB Pathway Mediates Neuroprotection of Hydrogen Sulfide against Formaldehyde-Induced Toxicity to PC12 Cells. Jiang JM, Zhou CF, Gao SL, Tian Y, Wang CY, Wang L, Gu HF, Tang XQ. PLoS One. 2015 Mar 6
- Hydrogen sulfide mitigates homocysteine-mediated pathological remodeling by inducing miR-133a in cardiomyocytes. Kesherwani V, Nandi SS, Sharawat SK, Shahshahan HR, Mishra PK. Mol Cell Biochem. 2015 Mar 13.
- Hydrogen sulfide improves cardiomyocytes electrical remodeling post ischemia/reperfusion injury in rats. Sun YG, Wang XY, Chen X, Shen CX, Li YG. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2015 Jan 1
- Matrix metalloproteinases in atherosclerosis: role of nitric oxide, hydrogen sulfide, homocysteine, and polymorphisms. Vacek TP, Rehman S, Neamtu D, Yu S, Givimani S, Tyagi SC. Vasc Health Risk Manag. 2015 Feb 27
- Cadmium sulfide quantum dots induce oxydative-stress and behavioural impairments in the marine clam Scrobicularia plana. Buffet PE, Zalouk-Vergnoux A, Poirier L, Lopes C, Risso-de Faverney C, Guibbolini M, Gilliland D, Perrein-Ettajani H, Valsami-Jones E, Mouneyrac C. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2015 Mar 13.
- Study and modeling of the evolution of gas-liquid partitioning of hydrogen sulfide in model solutions simulating winemaking fermentations. Mouret JR, Sablayrolles JM, Farines V. J Agric Food Chem. 2015 Mar 12.
- Denitrifying sulfide removal process on high-salinity wastewaters. Liu C, Zhao C, Wang A, Guo Y, Lee DJ. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2015 Mar 17.
- Hexametaphosphate-Capped Silica Mesoporous Nanoparticles Containing CuII Complexes for the Selective and Sensitive Optical Detection of Hydrogen Sulfide in Water. El Sayed S, Milani M, Licchelli M, Martínez-Máñez R, Sancenón F. Chemistry. 2015 Mar 10.