Sodium Hydroxide, Anhydrous
|Formula||CAS No.||PubChem CID||MDL No.||EC No||IUPAC Name||Beilstein
|PROPERTIES||Compound Formula||Mol. Wt.||Appearance||Melting Point||Boiling Point||Density||Monoisotopic Mass||Charge||MSDS|
|HNaO||40.00||White, othogonal crystals||318° C
|2.13 g/cm³||39.992509||39.992509||0||Safety Data Sheet|
Sodium Hydroxide, Anhydrous is generally immediately available in most volumes. High purity, submicron and nanopowder forms may be considered. Hydroxide, the OH- anion composed of an oxygen atom bonded to a hydrogen atom, is commonly present in nature and is one of the most widely studied molecules in physical chemistry. Hydroxide compounds have diverse properties and uses, from base catalysis to detection of carbon dioxide. In a watershed 2013 experiment, scientists at JILA (the Joint Institute for Laboratory Astrophysics) achieved evaporative cooling of compounds for the first time using hydroxide molecules, a discovery that may lead to new methods of controlling chemical reactions and could impact a range of disciplines, including atmospheric science and energy production technologies. American Elements produces to many standard grades when applicable, including Mil Spec (military grade); ACS, Reagent and Technical Grade; Food, Agricultural and Pharmaceutical Grade; Optical Grade, USP and EP/BP (European Pharmacopoeia/British Pharmacopoeia) and follows applicable ASTM testing standards. Typical and custom packaging is available. Additional technical, research and safety (MSDS) information is available as is a Reference Calculator for converting relevant units of measurement.
Sodium (atomic symbol: Na, atomic number: 11) is a Block D, Group 5, Period 4 element with na atomic weight of 22.989769. The number of electrons in each of Sodium's shells is [2, 8, 1] and its electron configuration is [Ne] 3s1.The sodium atom has a radius of 185.8 pm and a Van der Waals radius of 227 pm. Sodium was discovered and first isolated by Sir Humphrey Davy in 1807. In its elemental form, sodium has a silvery-white metallic appearance. It is the sixth most abundant element, making up 2.6 % of the earth's crust. Sodium does not occur in nature as a free element and must be extracted from its compounds (e.g., feldspars, sodalite, and rock salt). The name Sodium is thought to come from the Arabic word "suda," meaning "headache" (due to sodium carbonate's headache-alleviating properties), and its elemental symbol Na comes from "natrium," its Latin name. For more information on sodium, including properties, safety data, research, and American Elements' catalog of sodium products, visit the Sodium Information Center.
|HEALTH, SAFETY & TRANSPORTATION INFORMATION|
|Material Safety Data Sheet||MSDS|
|Transport Information||UN 1823 8/PG 2|
|Globally Harmonized System of
Classification and Labelling (GHS)
|SODIUM HYDROXIDE SYNONYMS|
|Caustic soda; Soda lye; Aetznatron; Sodium hydrate|
CUSTOMERS FOR SODIUM HYDROXIDE, ANHYDROUS HAVE ALSO LOOKED AT
|Sodium Fluoride||Sodium Chloride||Sodium Oxide Sputtering Target||Sodium Sulfate||Sodium Oxide Powder|
|Sodium Nitrate||Sodium Acetate||Sodium 2 - Ethylhexanoate||Sodium Tungstate||Sodium Oxide|
|Sodium Oxide Nanopowder||Sodium Oxide Pellets||Sodium Cubes||Gold(I) Sodium Cyanide||Sodium Benzoate|
|Show Me MORE Forms of Sodium|
PACKAGING SPECIFICATIONS FOR BULK & RESEARCH QUANTITIES
|Typical bulk packaging includes palletized plastic 5 gallon/25 kg. pails, fiber and steel drums to 1 ton super sacks in full container (FCL) or truck load (T/L) quantities. Research and sample quantities and hygroscopic, oxidizing or other air sensitive materials may be packaged under argon or vacuum. Shipping documentation includes a Certificate of Analysis and Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS). Solutions are packaged in polypropylene, plastic or glass jars up to palletized 440 gallon liquid totes.|
Recent Research & Development for Sodium
- Controlled porosity osmotic pump system for the delivery of diclofenac sodium: in-vitro and in-vivo evaluation. Emara LH, Taha NF, El-Ashmawy AA, Raslan HM, Mursi NM. Pharm Dev Technol. 2014 Sep.
- The influence of sodium salts (iodide, chloride and sulfate) on the formation efficiency of sulfamerazine nanocrystals. Lou H, Liu M, Qu W, Johnson J, Brunson E, Almoazen H. Pharm Dev Technol. 2014 Aug.
- Diclofenac sodium sustained release hot melt extruded lipid matrices. Vithani K, Cuppok Y, Mostafa S, Slipper IJ, Snowden MJ, Douroumis D. Pharm Dev Technol. 2014 Aug.
- Incompatibility of croscarmellose sodium with alkaline excipients in a tablet formulation. Bindra DS, Stein D, Pandey P, Barbour N. Pharm Dev Technol. 2014 May.
- Comprehensive assessment of nephrotoxicity of intravenously administered sodium-oleate-coated ultra-small superparamagnetic iron oxide (USPIO) and titanium dioxide (TiO2) nanoparticles in rats. Sebeková K, Dušinská M, Simon Klenovics K, Kollárová R, Boor P, Kebis A, Staruchová M, Vlková B, Celec P, Hodosy J, Baciak L, Tušková R, Beno M, Tulinská J, Príbojová J, Bilanicová D, Pojana G, Marcomini A, Volkovová K. Nanotoxicology. 2014 Mar.
- Taste masking of naproxen sodium granules by fluid-bed coating. Stange U, Führling C, Gieseler H. Pharm Dev Technol 2014.
- Facile synthesis of calcium silicate hydrate using sodium dodecyl sulfate as a surfactant assisted by ultrasonic irradiation. Mehrali M, Seyed Shirazi SF, Baradaran S, Mehrali M, Metselaar HS, Kadri NA, Osman NA. Ultrason Sonochem. 2014 Mar.
- A novel sodium iodide and ammonium molybdate co-catalytic system for the efficient synthesis of 2-benzimidazoles using hydrogen peroxide under ultrasound irradiation. Bai GY, Lan XW, Chen GF, Liu XF, Li TY, Shi LJ. Ultrason Sonochem. 2014 Mar.
- Water-solid interactions between amorphous maltodextrins and crystalline sodium chloride. Ghorab MK, Marrs K, Taylor LS, Mauer LJ. Food Chem. 2014 Feb.
- Electrochemical serotonin monitoring of poly(ethylenedioxythiophene):poly(sodium 4-styrenesulfonate)-modified fluorine-doped tin oxide by predeposition of self-assembled 4-pyridylporphyrin. Song MJ, Kim S, Ki Min N, Jin JH. Biosens Bioelectron. 2014 Feb.
- The salt and lipid composition of model cheeses modifies in-mouth flavour release and perception related to the free sodium ion content. Boisard L, Andriot I, Martin C, Septier C, Boissard V, Salles C, Guichard E. Food Chem. 2014 Feb.
- Lee J, Ashokkumar M, Kentish SE. Influence of mixing and ultrasound frequency on antisolvent crystallisation of sodium chloride. Ultrason Sonochem. 2014 Jan.
- Relationship between urinary sodium excretion and serum aldosterone in patients with diabetes in the presence and absence of modifiers of the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system. Libianto R, Jerums G, Lam Q, Chen A, Baqar S, Pyrlis F, Macisaac RJ, Moran J, Ekinci EI. Clin Sci (Lond). 2014 Jan.
- Impact of mixing time and sodium stearoyl lactylate on gluten polymerization during baking of wheat flour dough. - Van Steertegem B, Pareyt B, Brijs K, Delcour JA.
- Zhang Y, Niu Y, Luo Y, Ge M, Yang T, Yu LL, Wang Q. Fabrication, characterization and antimicrobial activities of thymol-loaded zein nanoparticles stabilized by sodium caseinate-chitosan hydrochloride double layers. Food Chem. 2014 Jan 1
- Spectroscopic studies on the interaction of sodium benzoate, a food preservative, with calf thymus DNA. 2013 Nov 1 - Zhang G, Ma Y.
- Yang HM, Chu WM. Esterification of sodium 4-hydroxybenzoate by ultrasound-assisted solid-liquid phase-transfer catalysis using dual-site phase-transfer catalyst. Ultrason Sonochem. 2014 Jan.
- The concomitant consumption of cod liver oil causes a reduction in the daily diclofenac sodium usage in rheumatoid arthritis patients: a pilot study. Gupta VK, Khan ZY, Ahmad M.
- Improved Diagnosis of Pulmonary Tuberculosis using bleach Microscopy Method. Mindolli PB, Salmani MP, Parandekar PK.
- NIR fluorescence studies of neodymium ions doped sodium fluoroborate glasses for 1.06µm laser applications. 2013 Nov 11 - Madhukar Reddy C, Vijaya N, Deva Prasad Raju B.
Recent Research & Development for Hydroxides
- Comparison of 10% potassium hydroxide solution versus cryotherapy in the treatment of molluscum contagiosum: An open randomized clinical trial. Handjani F, Behazin E, Sadati MS. J Dermatolog Treat. 2014 Jun.
- Step enzymatic hydrolysis of sodium hydroxide-pretreated chinese liquor distillers' grains for ethanol production. Liu YH, Wu ZY, Yang J, Yuan YJ, Zhang WX. Prep Biochem Biotechnol. 2014 Jul.
- Treatment of pediatric molluscum contagiosum with 10% potassium hydroxide solution. Can B, Topaloglu F, Kavala M, Turkoglu Z, Zindanci I, Sudogan S. J Dermatolog Treat. 2014 Jun.
- A role for calcium hydroxide and dolomite in water: Acceleration of the reaction under ultraviolet light. Nagase H, Tsujino H, Kurihara D, Saito H, Kawase M. Chemosphere. 2014.
- Nickel hydroxide nanoparticles-reduced graphene oxide nanosheets film: Layer-by-layer electrochemical preparation, characterization and rifampicin sensory application. Rastgar S, Shahrokhian S. Talanta. 2014 Feb.
- Vibrational spectroscopic study of the natural layered double hydroxide manasseite now defined as hydrotalcite-2H-Mg6Al2(OH)16[CO3]·4H2O. Frost RL, Scholz R, López A, Theiss FL. Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc. 2014 Jan.
- CO2 fixation employing an iridium(i)-hydroxide complex. Truscott BJ, Nelson DJ, Slawin AM, Nolan SP. Chem Commun (Camb). 2014 Jan.
- Accelerating the clearance of mutant huntingtin protein aggregates through autophagy induction by europium hydroxide nanorods. Biomaterials. 2014 create date:2013/10/31 | first author:Wei PF
- Vibrational spectroscopic study of the natural layered double hydroxide manasseite now defined as hydrotalcite-2H - Mg6Al2(OH)16[CO3]-4H2O. Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc. 2014 create date:2013/09/21 | first author:Frost RL.
- Sonochemical synthesis and characterization of lead iodide hydroxide micro/nanostructures. Ultrason Sonochem. 2014 create date:2013/06/12 | first author:Tavakoli F
- Platelet-like nickel hydroxide: Synthesis and the transferring to nickel oxide as a gas sensor. J Colloid Interface Sci. 2013 create date:2013/10/23 | first author:Zhu G
- Hydrothermal synthesis of inorganic-organic hybrid gadolinium hydroxide nanoclusters with controlled size and morphology. Dalton Trans. 2013 create date:2013/09/21 | first author:Singh V
- On-column nitrosation of amines observed in liquid chromatography impurity separations employing ammonium hydroxide and acetonitrile as mobile phase. J Chromatogr A. 2013 create date:2013/11/05 | first author:Myers DP
- The long-term effect of calcium hydroxide application on dentin fracture strength of endodontically treated teeth. Dent Traumatol. 2013 create date:2013/02/28 | first author:Batur YB.
- Structural characterization of iron oxide/hydroxide nanoparticles in nine different parenteral drugs for the treatment of iron deficiency anaemia by electron diffraction (ED) and X-ray powder diffraction (XRPD). J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2013 create date:2013/09/04 | first author:FÃtterer S
- Mid- and near-infrared spectroscopic investigation of homogeneous cation distribution in MgxZnyAl(x+y)/2-layered double hydroxide (LDH). J Colloid Interface Sci. 2013 create date:2013/09/21 | first author:Zhang J
- Oxazoline and Imidazoline Functionalization of a C(60) Dimer via the Reaction of C(60)HBn and Aromatic Nitriles with a Bifunctional Hydroxide. J Org Chem. 2013 create date:2013/11/06 | first author:Li ZJ
- FAD C(4a)-hydroxide stabilized in a naturally fused styrene monooxygenase. FEBS Lett. 2013 create date:2013/10/26 | first author:Tischler D
- DNA-enhanced peroxidase-like activity of layered double hydroxide nanosheets and applications in H2O2 and glucose sensing. Nanoscale 2013. | first author:Chen L
- Simultaneous determinations of zirconium, hafnium, yttrium and lanthanides in seawater according to a co-precipitation technique onto iron-hydroxide. Talanta. 2013 | first author:Raso M