|Formula||CAS No.||PubChem SID||PubChem CID||MDL No.||EC No||IUPAC Name||Beilstein
|PROPERTIES||Compound Formula||Mol. Wt.||Appearance||Melting Point||Boiling Point||Density||Monoisotopic Mass||Charge||MSDS|
|CNNa||49.01||White powder or chunks||563.7 °C||1496 °C||1.595 g/cm3||48.992843||48.992843||0||Safety Data Sheet|
Sodium Cyanide is generally immediately available in most volumes. High purity, submicron and nanopowder forms may be considered. American Elements produces to many standard grades when applicable, including Mil Spec (military grade); ACS, Reagent and Technical Grade; Food, Agricultural and Pharmaceutical Grade; Optical Grade, USP and EP/BP (European Pharmacopoeia/British Pharmacopoeia) and follows applicable ASTM testing standards. Typical and custom packaging is available. Additional technical, research and safety (MSDS) information is available as is a Reference Calculator for converting relevant units of measurement.
Sodium (atomic symbol: Na, atomic number: 11) is a Block D, Group 5, Period 4 element with na atomic weight of 22.989769. The number of electrons in each of Sodium's shells is [2, 8, 1] and its electron configuration is [Ne] 3s1.The sodium atom has a radius of 185.8 pm and a Van der Waals radius of 227 pm. Sodium was discovered and first isolated by Sir Humphrey Davy in 1807. In its elemental form, sodium has a silvery-white metallic appearance. It is the sixth most abundant element, making up 2.6 % of the earth's crust. Sodium does not occur in nature as a free element and must be extracted from its compounds (e.g., feldspars, sodalite, and rock salt). The name Sodium is thought to come from the Arabic word "suda," meaning "headache" (due to sodium carbonate's headache-alleviating properties), and its elemental symbol Na comes from "natrium," its Latin name. For more information on sodium, including properties, safety data, research, and American Elements' catalog of sodium products, visit the Sodium Information Center.
|HEALTH, SAFETY & TRANSPORTATION INFORMATION|
|Material Safety Data Sheet||MSDS|
|Hazard Codes||T+, N|
|Transport Information||UN 1689 6.1/PG 1|
|Globally Harmonized System of
Classification and Labelling (GHS)
|SODIUM CYANIDE SYNONYMS|
|Cyanogran, Cymag, Cyanide of sodium, Hydrocyanic acid, sodium salt, Cyanide salts, Cyanobrik, Cyanasalt, sodium carbonitrile|
PACKAGING SPECIFICATIONS FOR BULK & RESEARCH QUANTITIES
|Typical bulk packaging includes palletized plastic 5 gallon/25 kg. pails, fiber and steel drums to 1 ton super sacks in full container (FCL) or truck load (T/L) quantities. Research and sample quantities and hygroscopic, oxidizing or other air sensitive materials may be packaged under argon or vacuum. Shipping documentation includes a Certificate of Analysis and Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS). Solutions are packaged in polypropylene, plastic or glass jars up to palletized 440 gallon liquid totes.|
Recent Research & Development for Sodium
- Controlled porosity osmotic pump system for the delivery of diclofenac sodium: in-vitro and in-vivo evaluation. Emara LH, Taha NF, El-Ashmawy AA, Raslan HM, Mursi NM. Pharm Dev Technol. 2014 Sep.
- The influence of sodium salts (iodide, chloride and sulfate) on the formation efficiency of sulfamerazine nanocrystals. Lou H, Liu M, Qu W, Johnson J, Brunson E, Almoazen H. Pharm Dev Technol. 2014 Aug.
- Diclofenac sodium sustained release hot melt extruded lipid matrices. Vithani K, Cuppok Y, Mostafa S, Slipper IJ, Snowden MJ, Douroumis D. Pharm Dev Technol. 2014 Aug.
- Incompatibility of croscarmellose sodium with alkaline excipients in a tablet formulation. Bindra DS, Stein D, Pandey P, Barbour N. Pharm Dev Technol. 2014 May.
- Comprehensive assessment of nephrotoxicity of intravenously administered sodium-oleate-coated ultra-small superparamagnetic iron oxide (USPIO) and titanium dioxide (TiO2) nanoparticles in rats. Sebeková K, Dušinská M, Simon Klenovics K, Kollárová R, Boor P, Kebis A, Staruchová M, Vlková B, Celec P, Hodosy J, Baciak L, Tušková R, Beno M, Tulinská J, Príbojová J, Bilanicová D, Pojana G, Marcomini A, Volkovová K. Nanotoxicology. 2014 Mar.
- Taste masking of naproxen sodium granules by fluid-bed coating. Stange U, Führling C, Gieseler H. Pharm Dev Technol 2014.
- Facile synthesis of calcium silicate hydrate using sodium dodecyl sulfate as a surfactant assisted by ultrasonic irradiation. Mehrali M, Seyed Shirazi SF, Baradaran S, Mehrali M, Metselaar HS, Kadri NA, Osman NA. Ultrason Sonochem. 2014 Mar.
- A novel sodium iodide and ammonium molybdate co-catalytic system for the efficient synthesis of 2-benzimidazoles using hydrogen peroxide under ultrasound irradiation. Bai GY, Lan XW, Chen GF, Liu XF, Li TY, Shi LJ. Ultrason Sonochem. 2014 Mar.
- Water-solid interactions between amorphous maltodextrins and crystalline sodium chloride. Ghorab MK, Marrs K, Taylor LS, Mauer LJ. Food Chem. 2014 Feb.
- Electrochemical serotonin monitoring of poly(ethylenedioxythiophene):poly(sodium 4-styrenesulfonate)-modified fluorine-doped tin oxide by predeposition of self-assembled 4-pyridylporphyrin. Song MJ, Kim S, Ki Min N, Jin JH. Biosens Bioelectron. 2014 Feb.
- The salt and lipid composition of model cheeses modifies in-mouth flavour release and perception related to the free sodium ion content. Boisard L, Andriot I, Martin C, Septier C, Boissard V, Salles C, Guichard E. Food Chem. 2014 Feb.
- Lee J, Ashokkumar M, Kentish SE. Influence of mixing and ultrasound frequency on antisolvent crystallisation of sodium chloride. Ultrason Sonochem. 2014 Jan.
- Relationship between urinary sodium excretion and serum aldosterone in patients with diabetes in the presence and absence of modifiers of the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system. Libianto R, Jerums G, Lam Q, Chen A, Baqar S, Pyrlis F, Macisaac RJ, Moran J, Ekinci EI. Clin Sci (Lond). 2014 Jan.
- Impact of mixing time and sodium stearoyl lactylate on gluten polymerization during baking of wheat flour dough. - Van Steertegem B, Pareyt B, Brijs K, Delcour JA.
- Zhang Y, Niu Y, Luo Y, Ge M, Yang T, Yu LL, Wang Q. Fabrication, characterization and antimicrobial activities of thymol-loaded zein nanoparticles stabilized by sodium caseinate-chitosan hydrochloride double layers. Food Chem. 2014.
- Spectroscopic studies on the interaction of sodium benzoate, a food preservative, with calf thymus DNA. 2013 - Zhang G, Ma Y.
- Yang HM, Chu WM. Esterification of sodium 4-hydroxybenzoate by ultrasound-assisted solid-liquid phase-transfer catalysis using dual-site phase-transfer catalyst. Ultrason Sonochem. 2014 Jan.
- The concomitant consumption of cod liver oil causes a reduction in the daily diclofenac sodium usage in rheumatoid arthritis patients: a pilot study. Gupta VK, Khan ZY, Ahmad M.
- Improved Diagnosis of Pulmonary Tuberculosis using bleach Microscopy Method. Mindolli PB, Salmani MP, Parandekar PK.
- NIR fluorescence studies of neodymium ions doped sodium fluoroborate glasses for 1.06µm laser applications. Madhukar Reddy C, Vijaya N, Deva Prasad Raju B.