|Formula||CAS No.||PubChem SID||PubChem CID||MDL No.||EC No||IUPAC Name||Beilstein
|PROPERTIES||Compound Formula||Mol. Wt.||Appearance||Melting Point||Boiling Point||Density||Monoisotopic Mass||Charge||MSDS|
|NiS||90.7584||Crystalline solid||797 °C
|N/A||5.8 g/cm3||89.907419||89.907417 Da||0||Safety Data Sheet|
Nickel Sulfide is a moderately water and acid soluble Nickel source for uses compatible with sulfates. Sulfate compounds are salts or esters of sulfuric acid formed by replacing one or both of the hydrogens with a metal. Most metal sulfate compounds are readily soluble in water for uses such as water treatment, unlike fluorides and oxides which tend to be insoluble. Organometallic forms are soluble in organic solutions and sometimes in both aqueous and organic solutions. Metallic ions can also be dispersed utilizing suspended or coated nanoparticles (See also application discussion at Nanotechnology Information and at Quantum Dots) and deposited utilizing sputtering targets and evaporation materials for uses such as solar energy materials and fuel cells. Nickel Sulfide is generally immediately available in most volumes. Ultra high purity and high purity compositions improve both optical quality and usefulness as scientific standards. Nanoscale (See also Nanotechnology Information and Quantum Dots) elemental powders and suspensions, as alternative high surface area forms, may be considered. American Elements produces to many standard grades when applicable, including Mil Spec (military grade); ACS, Reagent and Technical Grade; Food, Agricultural and Pharmaceutical Grade; Optical Grade, USP and EP/BP (European Pharmacopoeia/British Pharmacopoeia) and follows applicable ASTM testing standards. Typical and custom packaging is available. Additional technical, research and safety (MSDS) information is available as is a Reference Calculator for converting relevant units of measurement.
Nickel (atomic symbol: Ni, atomic number: 28) is a Block D, Group 4, Period 4 element with an atomic weight of 58.6934. The number of electrons in each of nickel's shells is [2, 8, 16, 2] and its electron configuration is [Ar]3d8 4s2. Nickel was first discovered by Alex Constedt in 1751. The nickel atom has a radius of 124 pm and a Van der Waals radius of 184 pm. In its elemental form, nickel has a lustrous metallic silver appearance. Nickel is a hard and ductile transition metal that is considered corrosion-resistant because of its slow rate of oxidation. It is one of four elements that are ferromagnetic and is used in the production of various type of magnets for commercial use. Nickel is sometimes found free in nature but is more commonly found in ores. The bulk of mined nickel comes from laterite and magmatic sulfide ores. The name originates from the German word "kupfernickel," which means "false copper" from the illusory copper color of the ore. For more information on nickel, including properties, safety data, research, and American Elements' catalog of nickel products, visit the Nickel Information Center.
Sulfur or Sulphur (atomic symbol: S, atomic number: 16) is a Block P, Group 16, Period 3 element with an atomic radius of 32.066. The number of electrons in each of Sulfur's shells is 2, 8, 6 and its electron configuration is [Ne]3s2 3p4. In its elemental form, sulfur has a light yellow appearance. The sulfur atom has a covalent radius of 105 pm and a Van der Waals radius of 180 pm. In nature, sulfur can be found in hot springs, meteorites, volcanoes, and as galena, gypsum, and epsom salts. Sulfur has been known since ancient times but was not accepted as an element until 1777 when Antoine Lavoisier helped to convince the scientific community that it was an element and not a compound. For more information on sulfur, including properties, safety data, research, and American Elements' catalog of sulfur products, visit the Sulfur Information Center.
|HEALTH, SAFETY & TRANSPORTATION INFORMATION|
|Material Safety Data Sheet||MSDS|
|Globally Harmonized System of
Classification and Labelling (GHS)
|NICKEL SULFIDE SYNONYMS|
|Mononickel monosulfide; Nickelous sulfide; Nickel sulfide [Nickel and nickel compounds]; Nickel monosulfide; beta Nickel sulfide; thioxonickel; Nickel(2+) sulfide; Nickel sulfide (NiS); 1-iodopyrrolidine-2,5-dione; sulfanylidenenickel; Millerite; Nickelous sulfide; nickel subsulfide; nickel; thioxonickel; nickel; sulfanylidenenickel|
PACKAGING SPECIFICATIONS FOR BULK & RESEARCH QUANTITIES
|Typical bulk packaging includes palletized plastic 5 gallon/25 kg. pails, fiber and steel drums to 1 ton super sacks in full container (FCL) or truck load (T/L) quantities. Research and sample quantities and hygroscopic, oxidizing or other air sensitive materials may be packaged under argon or vacuum. Shipping documentation includes a Certificate of Analysis and Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS). Solutions are packaged in polypropylene, plastic or glass jars up to palletized 440 gallon liquid totes.|
Recent Research & Development for Nickel
- One-step electrodeposition of graphene loaded nickel oxides nanoparticles for acetaminophen detection. Liu GT, Chen HF, Lin GM, Ye PP, Wang XP, Jiao YZ, Guo XY, Wen Y, Yang HF. Biosens Bioelectron. 2014.
- Nickel oxide hollow microsphere for non-enzyme glucose detection. Ci S, Huang T, Wen Z, Cui S, Mao S, Steeber DA, Chen J. Biosens Bioelectron. 2014 Apr.
- Electrocatalysis and electroanalysis of nickel, its oxides, hydroxides and oxyhydroxides toward small molecules. Miao Y, Ouyang L, Zhou S, Xu L, Yang Z, Xiao M, Ouyang R. Biosens Bioelectron. 2014 Mar.
- Halo-substituted thiosemicarbazones and their copper(II), nickel(II) complexes: Detailed spectroscopic characterization and study of antitumour activity against HepG2 human hepatoblastoma cells. Jagadeesh M, Kalangi SK, Sivarama Krishna L, Reddy AV. Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc. 2014
- Low elastic modulus titanium-nickel scaffolds for bone implants. Li J, Yang H, Wang H, Ruan J. Mater Sci Eng C Mater Biol Appl. 2014 Jan
- Platelet-like nickel hydroxide: Synthesis and the transferring to nickel oxide as a gas sensor. Zhu G, Xu H, Liu Y, Xi C, Yang J, Shen X, Zhu J, Yang J. J Colloid Interface Sci. 2013 Dec.
- Direct electrochemistry and electrocatalysis of heme proteins immobilised in carbon-coated nickel magnetic nanoparticle-chitosan-dimethylformamide composite films in room-temperature ionic liquids. Bioelectrochemistry. 2013 create date:2013/05/02 | first author:Wang T
- Influence of the microstructure on electrochemical corrosion and nickel release in NiTi orthodontic archwires. Mater Sci Eng C Mater Biol Appl. 2013 create date:2013/10/08 | first author:BriceÃ±o J
- Nickel analysis in real samples by Ni(2+) selective PVC membrane electrode based on a new Schiff base. Mater Sci Eng C Mater Biol Appl. 2013 create date:2013/10/08 | first author:Tomar PK
- Preparation of biomorphic porous calcium titanate and its application for preconcentration of nickel in water and food samples. Mater Sci Eng C Mater Biol Appl. 2013 create date:2013/10/08 | first author:Zhang D
- Functionalization of nickel nanowires with a fluorophore aiming at new probes for multimodal bioanalysis. J Colloid Interface Sci. 2013 create date:2013/09/04 | first author:Pinheiro PC
- Ambient arylmagnesiation of alkynes catalysed by ligandless nickel(ii). Chem Commun (Camb). 2013 create date:2013/09/21 | first author:Xue F
- Dietary nickel chloride restrains the development of small intestine in broilers. Biol Trace Elem Res. 2013 create date:2013/08/21 | first author:Wu BSynthesis, characterization and structural determination of some nickel(II) complexes containing imido Schiff bases and substituted phosphine ligands. Kianfar AH, Ebrahimi M. Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc. 2013 Nov
- An electrochemical acetylcholine sensor based on lichen-like nickel oxide nanostructure. Sattarahmady N, Heli H, Vais RD. Biosens Bioelectron. 2013 Oct 15.
- Synthesis of HPMC stabilized nickel nanoparticles and investigation of their magnetic and catalytic properties. Maity D, Mollick MM, Mondal D, Bhowmick B, Neogi SK, Banerjee A, Chattopadhyay S, Bandyopadhyay S, Chattopadhyay D. Carbohydr Polym. 2013 Oct 15.
- Nickel(iii) complexes of di-amidato-di-phenolato ligands: effect of H-bonding. Eckshtain-Levi M, Orio M, Lavi R, Benisvy L. Dalton Trans. 2013 Oct.
- Borate-templated self-assembly of multinuclear nickel(ii)-containing POMs. Li S, Liu S, Tang Q, Liu Y, He D, Wang S, Shi Z. Dalton Trans. 2013 Oct 7.
- Nickel(ii) in chelate N2O2 environment. DFT approach and in-depth molecular orbital and configurational analysis. Trifunovic SR, Miletic VD, Jevtic VV, Meetsma A, Matovic ZD. Dalton Trans. 2013 Oct.
- Correlation between endodontic broken instrument and nickel level in urine. Saghiri MA, Sheibani N, Garcia-Godoy F, Asatourian A, Mehriar P, Scarbecz M. Biol Trace Elem Res. 2013.
- A review on nickel-free nitrogen containing austenitic stainless steels for biomedical applications. Talha M, Behera CK, Sinha OP. Mater Sci Eng C Mater Biol Appl. 2013.
Recent Research & Development for Sulfides
- Synthesis of nickel sulfide nanoparticles loaded on activated carbon as a novel adsorbent for the competitive removal of Methylene blue and Safranin-O. Ghaedi M, Pakniat M, Mahmoudi Z, Hajati S, Sahraei R, Daneshfar A. Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc. 2014
- Disturbance of endogenous hydrogen sulfide generation and endoplasmic reticulum stress in hippocampus are involved in homocysteine-induced defect in learning and memory of rats. Li MH, Tang JP, Zhang P, Li X, Wang CY, Wei HJ, Yang XF, Zou W, Tang XQ. Behav Brain Res. 2014
- Biochemical and behavioural responses of the marine polychaete Hediste diversicolor to cadmium sulfide quantum dots (CdS QDs): Waterborne and dietary exposure. Buffet PE, Poirier L, Zalouk-Vergnoux A, Lopes C, Amiard JC, Gaudin P, Risso-de Faverney C, Guibbolini M, Gilliland D, Perrein-Ettajani H, Valsami-Jones E, Mouneyrac C. Chemosphere. 2014
- GYY4137, a hydrogen sulfide (H2S) donor, shows potent anti-hepatocellular carcinoma activity through blocking the STAT3 pathway. Lu S, Gao Y, Huang X, Wang X. Int J Oncol. 2014
- Manipulating surface ligands of Copper Sulfide nanocrystals: Synthesis, characterization, and application to organic solar cells. Li J, Jiu T, Tao GH, Wang G, Sun C, Li P, Fang J, He L. J Colloid Interface Sci. 2014
- Recolonization of macrozoobenthos on defaunated sediments in a hypertrophic brackish lagoon: Effects of sulfide removal and sediment grain size. Kanaya G. Mar Environ Res. 2014
- Experimental design based response surface methodology optimization of ultrasonic assisted adsorption of safaranin O by tin sulfide nanoparticle loaded on activated carbon. Roosta M, Ghaedi M, Daneshfar A, Sahraei R. Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc. 2014
- Metal sulfide-functionalized DNA concatamer for ultrasensitive electronic monitoring of ATP using a programmable capillary-based aptasensor. Liu B, Zhang B, Chen G, Yang H, Tang D. Biosens Bioelectron. 2014 Mar.
- Self-assembly of manganese doped zinc sulfide quantum dots/CTAB nanohybrids for detection of rutin. Biosens Bioelectron. 2014 | first author:Miao Y
- Silver sulfide nanoparticles sensitized titanium dioxide nanotube arrays synthesized by in situ sulfurization for photocatalytic hydrogen production. J Colloid Interface Sci. 2014 | first author:Liu X
- A sensitive method for the sulfur isotope analysis of dimethyl sulfide and dimethylsulfoniopropionate in seawater. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom. 2013 | first author:Said-Ahmad W
- Target-stimulated metallic HgS nanostructures on a DNA-based polyion complex membrane for highly efficient impedimetric detection of dissolved hydrogen sulfide. Chem Commun (Camb). 2013 | first author:Zhuang J
- A fatal work-related poisoning by hydrogen sulfide: report on a case. Am J Forensic Med Pathol. 2013 create date:2013/11/08 | first author:Lancia M
- Highly enantioselective oxidation of phenyl methyl sulfide and its derivatives into optically pure (S)-sulfoxides with Rhodococcus sp. CCZU10-1 in an n-octane-water biphasic system. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2013 create date:2013/10/05 | first author:He YC
- Biochemical properties of nematode O-acetylserine(thiol)lyase paralogs imply their distinct roles in hydrogen sulfide homeostasis. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013 | first author:Vozdek R
- Involvement of hydrogen sulfide and homocysteine transsulfuration pathway in the progression of kidney fibrosis after ureteral obstruction. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013 create date:2013/07/13 | first author:Jung KJ
- High electrocatalytic activity of self-standing hollow NiCo2S4 single crystalline nanorod arrays towards sulfide redox shuttles in quantum dot-sensitized solar cells. Chem Commun (Camb). | first author:Xiao J
- Benzene and sulfide removal from groundwater treated in a microbial fuel cell. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2013 create date:2013/06/19 | first author:Rakoczy J
- New biologically active hydrogen sulfide donors. Chembiochem. 2013 create date:2013/10/12 | first author:Roger T
- A visible light excitable colorimetric and fluorescent ESIPT probe for rapid and selective detection of hydrogen sulfide. Org Biomol Chem. 2013 create date:2013/11/23 | first author:Liu Y