|Formula||CAS No.||PubChem SID||PubChem CID||MDL No.||EC No||IUPAC Name||Beilstein
|PROPERTIES||Compound Formula||Mol. Wt.||Appearance||Density||Monoisotopic Mass||Charge||MSDS|
|FeP||86.82||Gray, hexagonal needles or blue-gray powder||N/A||N/A||86.908707||N/A||Safety Data Sheet|
Iron Phosphide is a semiconductor used in high power, high frequency applications and in laser diodes. American Elements produces to many standard grades when applicable, including Mil Spec (military grade); ACS, Reagent and Technical Grade; Food, Agricultural and Pharmaceutical Grade; Optical Grade, USP and EP/BP (European Pharmacopoeia/British Pharmacopoeia) and follows applicable ASTM testing standards. Typical and custom packaging is available. Additional technical, research and safety (MSDS) information is available as is a Reference Calculator for converting relevant units of measurement.
Iron is a Block D, Group 8, Period 4 element. The number of electrons in each of Iron's shells is 2, 8, 14, 2 and its electronic configuration is [Ar] 3d6 4s2. In its elemental form iron's CAS number is 7439-89-6. The iron atom has a radius of 124.1.pm and its Van der Waals radius is 200.pm. Iron is not toxic. Iron is the most commonly used metal for commercial applications due to its hardness, historical availability and low cost. Once used on its own, it is now alloyed with nickel and other elements to produce steel and other high strength, non-corrosive structural metals. Iron as a metal and as its many compounds has numerous uses. It is a primary colorant in glass and ceramics. It is a catalyst. It is the basis for low grade magnets and because of its magnetic properties is used extensively in memory tape. Recent applications for Iron nanoparticles include in water treatment of carbon tetrachloride in contaminated groundwater, magnetic data storage and resonance imaging (MRI) and in certain alloy and catalyst applications. Researchers at the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) and the University of Maryland recently moved iron-based superconductors closer to being useful in many practical applications by identifying an iron-based superconductor that operates at the highest known temperature for a material in its class. Iron can also be introduced into processes using iron foil, pellets, rod and wire by thin film Chemical Vapor Deposition (CVD) and Physical Vapor Deposition (PVD) processes including Thermal and Electron Beam (E-Beam) Evaporation, Low Temperature Organic Evaporation, Atomic Layer Deposition (ALD), Organometallic and Chemical Vapor Deposition (MOCVD) for specific applications such as fuel cells and solar energy. Iron is available as metal and compounds with purities from 99% to 99.999% (ACS grade to ultra-high purity); metals in the form of foil, sputtering target, and rod, and compounds as submicron and nanopowder. Iron is found in the minerals hematite and magnetite. Iron was first discovered by Early Man. See Iron research below.
Phosphorus is a Block P, Group 15, Period 3 element. The number of electrons in each of Phosphorus's shells is 2, 8, 5 and its electronic configuration is [Ne] 3s2 3p3. In its elemental form Phosphorus's CAS number is 7723-14-0. The Phosphorus atom has a radius of 110.5.pm and its Van der Waals radius is 180.pm. Although white phosphorus is very toxic, red phosphorus is not considered toxic. Phosphorus information, including Technical Data, Safety Data and its High Purity properties, research, applications and other useful facts are discussed below. Scientific facts such as the atomic structure, ionization energy, abundance on Earth, conductivity and thermal properties are included.
|HEALTH, SAFETY & TRANSPORTATION INFORMATION|
|Material Safety Data Sheet||MSDS|
|Globally Harmonized System of
Classification and Labelling (GHS)
|IRON PHOSPHIDE SYNONYMS|
|ferric phosphorus(-3) anion, Ferrophosphide, Triiron phosphide|
CUSTOMERS FOR IRON PHOSPHIDE HAVE ALSO LOOKED AT
|Show Me MORE Forms of Iron|
PACKAGING SPECIFICATIONS FOR BULK & RESEARCH QUANTITIES
|Typical bulk packaging includes palletized plastic 5 gallon/25 kg. pails, fiber and steel drums to 1 ton super sacks in full container (FCL) or truck load (T/L) quantities. Research and sample quantities and hygroscopic, oxidizing or other air sensitive materials may be packaged under argon or vacuum. Shipping documentation includes a Certificate of Analysis and Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS). Solutions are packaged in polypropylene, plastic or glass jars up to palletized 440 gallon liquid totes.|
Recent Research & Development for Iron
- Biomarkers for Assessing and Managing Iron Deficiency Anemia in Late-Stage Chronic Kidney Disease: Future Research Needs: Identification of Future Research Needs From Comparative Effectiveness Review No. 83 [Internet]. Chung M, Chan JA, Moorthy D, Hadar N, Ratichek SJ, Concannon TW, Lau J. Rockville (MD): Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (US); 2013 Jan.
- Effect of Iron Deficiency on c-kit(+) Cardiac Stem Cells In Vitro. Song D, Li Y, Cao J, Han Z, Gao L, Xu Z, Yin Z, Wang G, Fan Y, Wang C. PLoS One. 2013 Jun 10;8(6):e65721. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0065721.
- Application of circuit simulation method for differential modeling of TIM-2 iron uptake and metabolism in mouse kidney cells. Xie Z, Harrison SH, Torti SV, Torti FM, Han J. Front Physiol. 2013 Jun 7;4:136. doi: 10.3389/fphys.2013.00136.
- Iron Bioavailability from a Lipid-Based Complementary Food Fortificant Mixed with Millet Porridge Can Be Optimized by Adding Phytase and Ascorbic Acid but Not by Using a Mixture of Ferrous Sulfate and Sodium Iron EDTA. Cercamondi CI, Egli IM, Mitchikpe E, Tossou F, Hessou J, Zeder C, Hounhouigan JD, Hurrell RF. J Nutr. 2013 Jun 12.
- Maternal Iron and Folic Acid Supplementation Is Associated with Lower Risk of Low Birth Weight in India. Balarajan Y, Subramanian SV, Fawzi WW. J Nutr. 2013 Jun 12.
- Response of the photosynthetic bacterium Rhodobacter sphaeroides to iron limitation and the role of a Fur orthologue in this response. Peuser V, Metz S, Klug G. Environ Microbiol Rep. 2011 Jun;3(3):397-404. doi: 10.1111/j.1758-2229.2011.00245.x.
- Quantification of nitrogenase in Trichodesmium IMS 101: implications for iron limitation of nitrogen fixation in the ocean. Whittaker S, Bidle KD, Kustka AB, Falkowski PG. Environ Microbiol Rep. 2011 Feb;3(1):54-8. doi: 10.1111/j.1758-2229.2010.00187.x.
- Higher iron concentrations may protect against Parkinson's disease. [No authors listed] BMJ. 2013 Jun 12;346:f3691. doi: 10.1136/bmj.f3691.
- Switching between apparently redundant iron-uptake mechanisms benefits bacteria in changeable environments. Dumas Z, Ross-Gillespie A, Kümmerli R. Proc Biol Sci. 2013 Jun 12;280(1764):20131055. doi: 10.1098/rspb.2013.1055.
- Serum hepcidin levels in Helicobacter pylori-infected children with iron-deficiency anemia: a case-control study. Azab SF, Esh AM. Ann Hematol. 2013 Jun 13.
- Plasmonic nanoparticle networks formed using iron porphyrin molecular bridges. Williams LJ, Dowgiallo AM, Knappenberger KL. Phys Chem Chem Phys. 2013 Jun 13.
- Arabidopsis thaliana nicotianamine synthase 4 is required for proper response to iron deficiency and to cadmium exposure. Koen E, Besson-Bard A, Duc C, Astier J, Gravot A, Richaud P, Lamotte O, Boucherez J, Gaymard F, Wendehenne D. Plant Sci. 2013 Aug;209:1-11. doi: 10.1016/j.plantsci.2013.04.006.
- Treating iron overload. Camaschella C. N Engl J Med. 2013 Jun 13;368(24):2325-7. doi: 10.1056/NEJMcibr1304338.
- Use of complementary markers in assessing glycaemic control in people with diabetic kidney disease undergoing iron or erythropoietin treatment. Konya J, Ng JM, Cox H, Cooke M, Lewis N, Bhandari S, Atkin SL, Kilpatrick ES. Diabet Med. 2013 Jun 12. doi: 10.1111/dme.12249.
- Iron-Catalyzed Oxidative Cross-Coupling of Phenols and Alkenes. Kshirsagar UA, Regev C, Parnes R, Pappo D. Org Lett. 2013 Jun 11.
- An unusual mode of iron-sulfur-cluster coordination in a teleost glutaredoxin. Bräutigam L, Johansson C, Kubsch B, McDonough MA, Bill E, Holmgren A, Berndt C. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2013 Jun 8. doi:pii: S0006-291X(13)00950-9. 10.1016/j.bbrc.2013.05.132.
- Properties of liquid iron along the melting line up to Earth-core pressures. Fomin YD, Ryzhov VN, Brazhkin VV. J Phys Condens Matter. 2013 Jun 12;25(28):285104.
- Chlorinated solvent transformation by palladized zero-valent iron: Mechanistic insights from reductant loading studies and solvent kinetic isotope effects. Xie Y, Cwiertny DM. Environ Sci Technol. 2013 Jun 11.
- Green method to form iron oxide nanorods in orange peels for chromium(VI) reduction. López-Téllez G, Balderas-Hernández P, Barrera-Díaz CE, Vilchis-Nestor AR, Roa-Morales G, Bilyeu B. J Nanosci Nanotechnol. 2013 Mar;13(3):2354-61.
- [Dinitrosyl iron complexes with glutathione recover rats with experimental endometriosis]. [No authors listed] Biofizika. 2013 Mar-Apr;58(2):302-12.
Recent Research & Development for Phosphides
- [Suicide attempt with aluminum phosphide poisoning]. Reyna-Medina M, Vázquez-de Anda GF, García-Monroy J, Valdespino-Salinas EA, Vicente-Cruz DC. Rev Med Inst Mex Seguro Soc. 2013 Mar-Apr;51(2):212-7.
- Structural transitions at the nanoscale: the example of palladium phosphides synthesized from white phosphorus. Carenco S, Hu Y, Florea I, Ersen O, Boissière C, Sanchez C, Mézailles N. Dalton Trans. 2013 May 15.
- Protective role of G6PD deficiency in poisoning by aluminum phosphide; are there possible new treatments? Zamani N, Mehrpour O. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2013 Apr;17(7):994-5.
- Fatal aluminum phosphide poisoning in Tehran-Iran from 2007 to 2010. Soltaninejad K, Nelson LS, Bahreini SA, Shadnia S. Indian J Med Sci. 2012 Mar-Apr;66(3-4):66-70. doi: 10.4103/0019-5359.110909.
- Aluminum phosphide poisoning and development of hemolysis and methemoglobinemia. Sanaei-Zadeh H. Indian J Crit Care Med. 2012 Oct;16(4):248-9. doi: 10.4103/0972-5229.106519.
- Aluminium phosphide-induced genetic and oxidative damages in vitro: attenuation by Laurus nobilis L. leaf extract. Türkez H, Togar B. Indian J Pharmacol. 2013 Jan-Feb;45(1):71-5. doi: 10.4103/0253-7613.106439.
- Phase characterization, thermal stability, high-temperature transport properties, and electronic structure of rare-earth Zintl phosphides Eu3M2P4 (M = Ga, In). Yi T, Zhang G, Tsujii N, Fleurial JP, Zevalkink A, Snyder GJ, Grønbech-Jensen N, Kauzlarich SM. Inorg Chem. 2013 Apr 1;52(7):3787-94. doi: 10.1021/ic302400q.
- Transmetalation of chromocene by lithium-amide, -phosphide, and -arsenide nucleophiles. Scheuermayer S, Tuna F, Pineda EM, Bodensteiner M, Scheer M, Layfield RA. Inorg Chem. 2013 Apr 1;52(7):3878-83. doi: 10.1021/ic3025815.
- Direct band gap wurtzite gallium phosphide nanowires. Assali S, Zardo I, Plissard S, Kriegner D, Verheijen MA, Bauer G, Meijerink A, Belabbes A, Bechstedt F, Haverkort JE, Bakkers EP. Nano Lett. 2013 Apr 10;13(4):1559-63. doi: 10.1021/nl304723c.
- A comparative study on carbon, boron-nitride, boron-phosphide and silicon-carbide nanotubes based on surface electrostatic potentials and average local ionization energies. Esrafili MD, Behzadi H. J Mol Model. 2013 Jun;19(6):2375-82. doi: 10.1007/s00894-013-1787-y.
- Phosphide oxides RE2AuP2O (RE = La, Ce, Pr, Nd): synthesis, structure, chemical bonding, magnetism, and 31P and 139La solid state NMR. Bartsch T, Wiegand T, Ren J, Eckert H, Johrendt D, Niehaus O, Eul M, Pöttgen R. Inorg Chem. 2013 Feb 18;52(4):2094-102. doi: 10.1021/ic302475u.
- Comment on "An update on toxicology of aluminum phosphide". Mehrpour O. Daru. 2012 Oct 8;20(1):50. doi: 10.1186/2008-2231-20-50.
- An update on toxicology of aluminum phosphide. Moghadamnia AA. Daru. 2012 Sep 3;20(1):25. doi: 10.1186/2008-2231-20-25.
- Assembly of phosphide nanocrystals into porous networks: formation of InP gels and aerogels. Hitihami-Mudiyanselage A, Senevirathne K, Brock SL. ACS Nano. 2013 Feb 26;7(2):1163-70. doi: 10.1021/nn305959q.
- Comments on "A systematic review of aluminium phosphide poisoning". Nasri Nasrabadi Z, Marashi SM. Arh Hig Rada Toksikol. 2012 Dec;63(4):551. doi: 10.2478/10004-1254-63-2012-2321.
- Synthesis of cobalt phosphides and their application as anodes for lithium ion batteries. Yang D, Zhu J, Rui X, Tan H, Cai R, Hoster HE, Yu DY, Hng HH, Yan Q. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces. 2013 Feb;5(3):1093-9. doi: 10.1021/am302877q.
- Phase equilibria in the Mo-Fe-P system at 800 °C and structure of ternary phosphide (Mo(1-x)Fe(x))3P (0.10 = x = 0.15). Oliynyk AO, Lomnytska YF, Dzevenko MV, Stoyko SS, Mar A. Inorg Chem. 2013 Jan 18;52(2):983-91. doi: 10.1021/ic302243p.
- Comparative study on the effectiveness of coumavec® and zinc phosphide in controlling zoonotic cutaneous leishmaniasis in a hyperendemic focus in central iran. Veysi A, Vatandoost H, Yaghoobi-Ershadi M, Arandian M, Jafari R, Hosseini M, Abdoli H, Rassi Y, Heidari K, Sadjadi A, Fadaei R, Ramazanpour J, Aminian K, Shirzadi M, Akhavan A. J Arthropod Borne Dis. 2012;6(1):18-27.
- A review of episodes of zinc phosphide toxicosis in wild geese (Branta spp.) in Oregon (2004-2011). Bildfell RJ, Rumbeiha WK, Schuler KL, Meteyer CU, Wolff PL, Gillin CM. J Vet Diagn Invest. 2013 Jan;25(1):162-7. doi: 10.1177/1040638712472499.
- Pleural effusion in aluminum phosphide poisoning. Garg K, Mohapatra PR, Sodhi MK, Janmeja AK. Lung India. 2012 Oct;29(4):370-2. doi: 10.4103/0970-2113.102836.
Proud Sponsors of the International Conference on Diamond & Carbon
Materials. Please join us and our customers and co-sponsors Thermo
Scientific and Element Six on September 2, 2013 in Riva del Garda, Italy.