|Product||Product Code||Request Quote|
|(2N) 99% Thorium Nitrate||TH-NAT-02||Request Quote|
|(3N) 99.9% Thorium Nitrate||TH-NAT-03||Request Quote|
|(4N) 99.99% Thorium Nitrate||TH-NAT-04||Request Quote|
|Formula||CAS No.||PubChem SID||PubChem CID||MDL No.||EC No||IUPAC Name||Beilstein
|Th(NO3)4·xH2O||13823-29-5||24889181||N/A||MFCD03094924||237-514-1||Thorium(+4) cation tetranitrate||N/A||[Th+4].O=[N+]([O-])[O-].[O-][N+]([O-])=O.[O-][N+]([O-])=O.[O-][N+]([O-])=O||InChI=1S/4NO3.Th/c4*2-1(3)4;/q4*-1;+4||VGBPIHVLVSGJGR-UHFFFAOYSA-N|
|PROPERTIES||Compound Formula||Mol. Wt.||Appearance||Density||Exact Mass||Monoisotopic Mass||Charge||MSDS|
|N4O12Th||246.04||White||g/cm3||N/A||N/A||0||Safety Data Sheet|
Thorium Nitrate is a highly water soluble crystalline Thorium source for uses compatible with nitrates and lower (acidic) pH. All metallic nitrates are inorganic salts of a given metal cation and the nitrate anion. The nitrate anion is a univalent (-1 charge) polyatomic ion composed of a single nitrogen atom ionically bound to three oxygen atoms (Formula: NO3) for a total formula weight of 62.05. Nitrate compounds are generally soluble in water. Nitrate materials are also oxidizing agents. When mixed with hydrocarbons, nitrate compounds can form a flammable mixture. Nitrates are excellent precursors for production of ultra high purity compounds and certain catalyst and nanoscale (nanoparticles and nanopowders) materials. Thorium Nitrate is generally immediately available in most volumes. Ultra high purity, high purity, submicron and nanopowder forms may be considered. We also produce Thorium Nitrate Solution. American Elements produces to many standard grades when applicable, including Mil Spec (military grade); ACS, Reagent and Technical Grade; Food, Agricultural and Pharmaceutical Grade; Optical Grade, USP and EP/BP (European Pharmacopoeia/British Pharmacopoeia) and follows applicable ASTM testing standards. Typical and custom packaging is available. Additional technical, research and safety (MSDS) information is available as is a Reference Calculator for converting relevant units of measurement.
Thorium (atomic symbol: Th, atomic number: 90) is a Block F, Group 3, Period 7 element with an atomic weight of 232.03806. The number of electrons in each of thorium's shells is [2, 8, 18, 32, 18, 10, 2] and its electron configuration is [Rn] 6d2 7s2. The thorium atom has a radius of 179 pm and a Van der Waals radius of 237 pm. Thorium was first discovered by Jöns Jakob Berzelius in 1829. The name Thorium originates from the Scandinavian god Thor, the Norse god of war and thunder. In its elemental form, thorium has a silvery, sometimes black-tarnished, appearance. It is found in small amounts in most rocks and soils. Thorium is a radioactive element that is currently the best contender for replacing uranium as nuclear fuel for nuclear reactors. It provides greater safety benefits, an absence of non-fertile isotopes, and it is both more available and abundant in the Earth's crust than uranium. For more information on Thorium, including properties, satefy data, research, and American Elements' catalog of Thorium products, visit the Thorium element page.
HEALTH, SAFETY & TRANSPORTATION INFORMATION
UN 1477 5.1/PG 2
THORIUM NITRATE SYNONYMS
Thorium nitrate hydrate, Thorium(4+) tetranitrate, Thorium(IV) nitrate
|PACKAGING SPECIFICATIONS FOR BULK & RESEARCH QUANTITIES|
|Typical bulk packaging includes palletized plastic 5 gallon/25 kg. pails, fiber and steel drums to 1 ton super sacks in full container (FCL) or truck load (T/L) quantities. Research and sample quantities and hygroscopic, oxidizing or other air sensitive materials may be packaged under argon or vacuum. Shipping documentation includes a Certificate of Analysis and Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS). Solutions are packaged in polypropylene, plastic or glass jars up to palletized 440 gallon liquid totes.|
Recent Research & Development for Thorium
- Application of hollow cylindrical wheat stem for electromembrane extraction of thorium in water samples. Khajeh M, Pedersen-Bjergaard S, Barkhordar A, Bohlooli M. Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc. 2015 Feb 25
- Effect of successive alkylation of N,N-dialkyl amides on the complexation behavior of uranium and thorium: solvent extraction, small angle neutron scattering, and computational studies. Verma PK, Pathak PN, Kumari N, Sadhu B, Sundararajan M, Aswal VK, Mohapatra PK. J Phys Chem B. 2014 Dec 11
- Mixed sandwich thorium complexes incorporating bis(tri-isopropylsilyl)cyclooctatetraenyl and pentamethylcyclopentadienyl ligands: synthesis, structure and reactivity. Button ZE, Higgins JA, Suvova M, Cloke FG, Roe SM. Dalton Trans. 2015 Jan 28
- Arene-ligated heteroleptic terphenolate complexes of thorium. McKinven J, Nichol GS, Arnold PL. Dalton Trans. 2014 Dec 14
- Theoretical study of thorium monoxide for the electron electric dipole moment search: electronic properties of H(3)Δ(1) in ThO. Skripnikov LV, Titov AV. J Chem Phys. 2015 Jan 14
- Environmental consequences of uranium atmospheric releases from fuel cycle facility: II. The atmospheric deposition of uranium and thorium on plants. Pourcelot L, Masson O, Renaud P, Cagnat X, Boulet B, Cariou N, De Vismes-Ott A. J Environ Radioact. 2014 Dec 10
- Distribution of uranium and thorium in dolomitic gravel fill and shale saprolite. Phillips DH, Watson DB. J Hazard Mater. 2015 Mar 21
- N-benzoyl-n-phenylhydroxylamine impregnated Amberlite XAD-4 beads for selective removal of thorium. Chandramouleeswaran S, Ramkumar J. J Hazard Mater. 2014 Sep 15
- Environmental releases from fuel cycle facility: part 1: radionuclide resuspension vs. stack releases on ambient airborne uranium and thorium levels. Masson O, Pourcelot L, Boulet B, Cagnat X, Videau G. J Environ Radioact. 2015 Jan 19
- Insights into particle cycling from thorium and particle data. Lam PJ, Marchal O. Ann Rev Mar Sci. 2015
- Kinetic, equilibrium and thermodynamic studies on sorption of uranium and thorium from aqueous solutions by a selective impregnated resin containing carminic acid. Rahmani-Sani A, Hosseini-Bandegharaei A, Hosseini SH, Kharghani K, Zarei H, Rastegar A. J Hazard Mater. 2014 Dec 30
- Production of medical isotopes from a thorium target irradiated by light charged particles up to 70 MeV. Duchemin C, Guertin A, Haddad F, Michel N, Métivier V. Phys Med Biol. 2015 Feb 7
- Experimental and computational studies on the reactivity of a terminal thorium imidometallocene towards organic azides and diazoalkanes. Ren W, Zhou E, Fang B, Hou G, Zi G, Fang DC, Walter MD. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl. 2014 Oct 13
- The influence of different hydroponic conditions on thorium uptake by Brassica juncea var. foliosa. Wang D, Zhou S, Liu L, Du L, Wang J, Huang Z, Ma L, Ding S, Zhang D, Wang R, Jin Y, Xia C. Environ Sci Pollut Res Int. 2014 Dec 5.
- Application of ion exchange and extraction chromatography to the separation of actinium from proton-irradiated thorium metal for analytical purposes. Radchenko V, Engle JW, Wilson JJ, Maassen JR, Nortier FM, Taylor WA, Birnbaum ER, Hudston LA, John KD, Fassbender ME. J Chromatogr A. 2015 Feb 6
- A rare tetranuclear thorium(IV) μ4 -oxo cluster and dinuclear thorium(IV) complex assembled by carbon-oxygen bond activation of 1,2-dimethoxyethane (DME). Travia NE, Scott BL, Kiplinger JL. Chemistry. 2014 Dec 15
- Fluorogenic ratiometric dipodal optode containing imine-amide linkages: exploiting subtle thorium (IV) ion sensing. Tayade K, Kaur A, Tetgure S, Chaitanya GK, Singh N, Kuwar A. Anal Chim Acta. 2014 Dec 10
- Hepatic angiosarcoma occurring 65 years after thorium dioxide (Thorotrast) exposure: imaging, surgical and histo- pathologic findings of a historical case. Coulier B, Pierard F, Gielen I, Maldague P. JBR-BTR. 2014 Jul-Aug
- A non-symmetric pillararene based on triazole-linked 8-oxyquinolines as a sequential sensor for thorium(iv) followed by fluoride ions. Fang Y, Li C, Wu L, Bai B, Li X, Jia Y, Feng W, Yuan L. Dalton Trans. 2015 Feb 17.
- Thorium Terephthalates Coordination Polymers Synthesized in Solvothermal DMF/H2O System. Falaise C, Charles JS, Volkringer C, Loiseau T. Inorg Chem. 2015 Mar 2
Recent Research & Development for Nitrates
- Effects of inorganic nitrate and beetroot supplementation on endothelial function: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lara J, Ashor AW, Oggioni C, Ahluwalia A, Mathers JC, Siervo M. Eur J Nutr. 2015 Mar 13.
- Miconazole Nitrate Vaginal Suppository 1,200 mg versus Oral Fluconazole 150 mg in Treating Severe Vulvovaginal Candidiasis. Fan S, Liu X, Liang Y. Gynecol Obstet Invest. 2015 Feb 17.
- Nitrite control over dissimilatory nitrate/nitrite reduction pathways in Shewanella loihica strain PV-4. Yoon S, Sanford R, Löffler FE. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2015 Mar 13.
- Skeletal muscle as an endogenous nitrate reservoir. Piknova B, Park JW, Swanson KM, Dey S, Noguchi CT, Schechter AN. Nitric Oxide. 2015 Feb 26
- Remediation of nitrate-nitrogen contaminated groundwater using a pilot-scale two-layer heterotrophic-autotrophic denitrification permeable reactive barrier with spongy iron/pine bark. Huang G, Huang Y, Hu H, Liu F, Zhang Y, Deng R. Chemosphere. 2015 Mar 3
- Seasonal nitrate algorithms for nitrate retrieval using OCEANSAT-2 and MODIS-AQUA satellite data. Durairaj P, Sarangi RK, Ramalingam S, Thirunavukarassu T, Chauhan P. Environ Monit Assess. 2015 Apr
- Effects of nitrate dosing on sulfidogenic and methanogenic activities in sewer sediment. Liu Y, Sharma KR, Ni BJ, Fan L, Murthy S, Tyson GQ, Yuan Z. Water Res. 2015 Feb 17
- Short-Term Effects of a High Nitrate Diet on Nitrate Metabolism in Healthy Individuals. Bondonno CP, Liu AH, Croft KD, Ward NC, Puddey IB, Woodman RJ, Hodgson JM. Nutrients. 2015 Mar 12
- The Nitric Oxide Production in the Moss Physcomitrella patens Is Mediated by Nitrate Reductase. Medina-Andrés R, Solano-Peralta A, Saucedo-Vázquez JP, Napsucialy-Mendivil S, Pimentel-Cabrera JA, Sosa-Torres ME, Dubrovsky JG, Lira-Ruan V. PLoS One. 2015 Mar 5
- Nephrotoxic effects of lead nitrate exposure in diabetic and nondiabetic rats: Involvement of oxidative stress and the protective role of sodium selenite. Ba? H, Kalender Y. Environ Toxicol. 2015 Mar 2.
- Cost-effective bioregeneration of nitrate-laden ion exchange brine through deliberate bicarbonate incorporation. Li Q, Huang B, Chen X, Shi Y. Water Res. 2015 Feb 24
- 50 Years Ago in TheJournal ofPediatrics: Congenital Pyloric Stenosis: A Controlled Evaluation of Medical Treatment Utilizing Methyl-Scopolamine-Nitrate. Gisser JM, Hill ID. J Pediatr. 2015 Mar
- Ni-induced Changes in Nitrate Assimilation and Antioxidant Metabolism of Verbascum olympicum Boiss.: Could the Plant be Useful for Phytoremediation or/and Restoration Purposes? Akpinar A, Arslan H, Güleryüz G, K?rm?z? S, Erdem?r ÜS, Güçer ?. Int J Phytoremediation. 2015
- AtNIGT1/HRS1 integrates nitrate and phosphate signals at the Arabidopsis root tip. Medici A, Marshall-Colon A, Ronzier E, Szponarski W, Wang R, Gojon A, Crawford NM, Ruffel S, Coruzzi GM, Krouk G. Nat Commun. 2015 Feb 27
- Gill histopathologies following exposure to nanosilver or silver nitrate. Hawkins AD, Thornton C, Kennedy AJ, Bu K, Cizdziel J, Jones BW, Steevens JA, Willett KL. J Toxicol Environ Health A. 2015
- Visible light photooxidation of nitrate: the dawn of a nocturnal radical. Hering T, Slanina T, Hancock A, Wille U, König B. Chem Commun (Camb). 2015 Mar 16.
- New organic nitrate-containing benzyloxy isonipecotanilide derivatives with vasodilatory and anti-platelet activity. Candia M, Marini E, Zaetta G, Cellamare S, Stilo AD, Altomare CD. Eur J Pharm Sci. 2015 Mar 10.
- Tepidicaulis marinus gen. nov., sp. nov., a novel marine bacterium reducing nitrate to nitrous oxide strictly under microaerobic conditions. Takeuchi M, Yamagishi T, Kamagata Y, Oshima K, Hattori M, Katayama T, Hanada S, Tamaki H, Marumo K, Maeda H, Nedachi M, Iwasaki W, Suwa Y, Sakata S. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2015 Mar 4.
- Surface Modification of Pt(100) for Electrocatalytic Nitrate Reduction to Dinitrogen in Alkaline Solution. Chen T, Li H, Ma H, Koper MT. Langmuir. 2015 Mar 3.
- Erratum: "Phase diagram of ammonium nitrate" [J. Chem. Phys. 139, 214503 (2013)]. Dunuwille M, Yoo CS. J Chem Phys. 2015 Mar 14