|Product||Product Code||Request Quote|
|(2N) 99% Potassium Hydroxide||K-OH-02||Request Quote|
|(2N5) 99.5% Potassium Hydroxide||K-OH-025||Request Quote|
|(3N) 99.9% Potassium Hydroxide||K-OH-03||Request Quote|
|(3N5) 99.95% Potassium Hydroxide||K-OH-035||Request Quote|
|(4N) 99.99% Potassium Hydroxide||K-OH-04||Request Quote|
|(5N) 99.999% Potassium Hydroxide||K-OH-05||Request Quote|
|Formula||CAS No.||PubChem CID||MDL No.||EC No||IUPAC Name||Beilstein
|PROPERTIES||Compound Formula||Mol. Wt.||Appearance||Melting Point||Boiling Point||Density||Exact Mass||Monoisotopic Mass||Charge||MSDS|
|HKO||56.11||White to yellow crystalline solid||380-406 °C||1327 °C||2.04 g/cm3||55.966446||55.966446||0||Safety Data Sheet|
Potassium Hydroxide is generally immediately available in most volumes. High purity, submicron and nanopowder forms may be considered. Hydroxide, the OH- anion composed of an oxygen atom bonded to a hydrogen atom, is commonly present in nature and is one of the most widely studied molecules in physical chemistry. Hydroxide compounds have diverse properties and uses, from base catalysis to detection of carbon dioxide. In a watershed 2013 experiment, scientists at JILA (the Joint Institute for Laboratory Astrophysics) achieved evaporative cooling of compounds for the first time using hydroxide molecules, a discovery that may lead to new methods of controlling chemical reactions and could impact a range of disciplines, including atmospheric science and energy production technologies. American Elements produces to many standard grades when applicable, including Mil Spec (military grade); ACS, Reagent and Technical Grade; Food, Agricultural and Pharmaceutical Grade; Optical Grade, USP and EP/BP (European Pharmacopoeia/British Pharmacopoeia)and follows applicable ASTM testing standards.Typical and custom packaging is available. Additional technical, research and safety (MSDS) information is available as is a Reference Calculator for converting relevant units of measurement.
Potassium (atomic symbol: K, atomic number: 19) is a Block S, Group 1, Period 4 element with an atomic weight of 39.0983. The number of electrons in each of Potassium's shells is [2, 8, 8, 1] and its electron configuration is [Ar] 4s1. The potassium atom has a radius of 227.2 pm and a Van der Waals radius of 275 pm. Potassium was discovered and first isolated by Sir Humphrey Davy in 1807. Potassium is the seventh most abundant element on earth. It is one of the most reactive and electropositive of all metals and rapidly oxidizes. As with other alkali metals, potassium decomposes in water with the evolution of hydrogen; because of its reacts violently with water, it only occurs in nature in ionic salts. In its elemental form, potassium has a silvery gray metallic appearance, but its compounds (such as potassium hydroxide) are more frequently used in industrial and chemical applications. The origin of the element's name comes from the English word 'potash,' meaning pot ashes, and the Arabic word qali, which means alkali. The symbol K originates from the Latin word kalium. For more information on potassium, including properties, safety data, research, and American Elements' catalog of potassium products, visit the Potassium element page.
HEALTH, SAFETY & TRANSPORTATION INFORMATION
UN 1813 8/PG 2
|POTASSIUM HYDROXIDE SYNONYMS|
|Caustic potash, Potash lye, Potassium hydrate|
|PACKAGING SPECIFICATIONS FOR BULK & RESEARCH QUANTITIES|
|Typical bulk packaging includes palletized plastic 5 gallon/25 kg. pails, fiber and steel drums to 1 ton super sacks in full container (FCL) or truck load (T/L) quantities. Research and sample quantities and hygroscopic, oxidizing or other air sensitive materials may be packaged under argon or vacuum. Shipping documentation includes a Certificate of Analysis and Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS). Solutions are packaged in polypropylene, plastic or glass jars up to palletized 440 gallon liquid totes.|
Recent Research & Development for Potassium
- Potassium Bicarbonate Supplementation Lowers Bone Turnover and Calcium Excretion in Older Men and Women: A Randomized Dose-Finding Trial.. Dawson-Hughes B, Harris SS, Palermo NJ, Gilhooly CH, Shea MK, Fielding RA, Ceglia L.. J Bone Miner Res. 2015 May 19.
- Range-resolved detection of potassium chloride using picosecond differential absorption light detection and ranging.. Leffler T, Brackmann C, Ehn A, Kaldvee B, Aldén M, Berg M, Bood J.. Appl Opt. 2015 Feb 10
- Daily Sodium and Potassium Excretion Can Be Estimated by Scheduled Spot Urine Collections.. Doenyas-Barak K, Beberashvili I, Bar-Chaim A, Averbukh Z, Vogel O, Efrati S.. Nephron. 2015 May 19.
- ATP-Sensitive Potassium Channel Activation Induces Angiogenesis in vitro and in vivo.. Umaru B, Pyriochou A, Kotsikoris V, Papapetropoulos A, Topouzis S.. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2015 May 14.
- An Ankyrin-G N-terminal gate and casein kinase 2 dually regulate binding of voltage-gated sodium and KCNQ2/3 potassium channels.. Xu M, Cooper EC.. J Biol Chem. 2015 May 21.
- Effects of 3,5-Diiodotyrosine and Potassium Iodide on Thyroid Function and Oxidative Stress in Iodine-Excess Wistar Rats.. Liu D, Lin X, Yu F, Zhang M, Chen H, Bao W, Wang X.. Biol Trace Elem Res. 2015 May 24.
- Effect of cationic molecules on the oxygen reduction reaction on fuel cell grade Pt/C (20 wt%) catalyst in potassium hydroxide (aq, 1 mol dm-3). Ong AL, Inglis KK, Whelligan DK, Murphy S, Varcoe JR. Phys Chem Chem Phys. 2015 Apr 16. : Phys Chem Chem Phys
- Comparison of modified Chicago sky blue stain and potassium hydroxide mount for the diagnosis of dermatomycoses and onychomycoses. Liu Z, Sheng P, Yang YP, Li W, Huang WM, Wang JD, Fan YM. J Microbiol Methods. 2015 Mar 9
- Pretreatment of wheat straw with potassium hydroxide for increasing enzymatic and microbial degradability. Liu X, Zicari SM, Liu G, Li Y, Zhang R. Bioresour Technol. 2015 Feb 17
- Effects of different cavity-disinfectants and potassium titanyl phosphate laser on microtensile bond strength to primary dentin. Oznurhan F, Ozturk C, Ekci ES. Niger J Clin Pract. 2015 May-Jun
Recent Research & Development for Hydroxide
- Antimicrobial effect of calcium hydroxide as an intracanal medicament in root canal treatment: a literature review - Part II. in vivo studies.. Kim D, Kim E.. Restor Dent Endod. 2015 May
- Facile synthesis of CuO nanosheets via the controlled delamination of layered copper hydroxide acetate.. Demel J, Zhigunov A, Jirka I, Klementová M, Lang K.. J Colloid Interface Sci. 2015 Aug 15
- Understanding the Formation Mechanism of Graphene Frameworks Synthesized by Solvothermal and Rapid Pyrolytic Processes Based on an Alcohol-Sodium Hydroxide System.. Cui H, Zheng J, Yang P, Zhu Y, Wang Z, Zhu Z.. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces. 2015 May 19.
- The effect of radiopacifiers agents on pH, calcium release, radiopacity, and antimicrobial properties of different calcium hydroxide dressings.. Ordinola-Zapata R, Bramante CM, GarcÍa-Godoy F, Moldauer BI, Minotti PG, TercíLIA Grizzo L, Duarte MA.. Microsc Res Tech. 2015 May 19.
- The enhancement effect of pre-reduction using zero-valent iron on the solidification of chromite ore processing residue by blast furnace slag and calcium hydroxide.. Li J, Chen Z, Shen J, Wang B, Fan L.. Chemosphere. 2015 Apr 27
- Fabrication and Characterization of Thin Film Nickel Hydroxide Electrodes for Micro-Power Applications.. Falahati H, Kim E, Barz DP.. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces. 2015 May 22.
- Thermodynamics-Stability Pickering Emulsion Configured with Carbon Nanotubes-Bridged Nanosheet-Shaped Layered Double Hydroxide for Selective Oxidation of Benzyl Alcohol.. Shan Y, Yu C, Yang J, Dong Q, Fan X, Qiu J.. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces. 2015 May 7.
- Ultrasonic assisted removal of sunset yellow from aqueous solution by zinc hydroxide nanoparticle loaded activated carbon: Optimized experimental design.. Roosta M, Ghaedi M, Sahraei R, Purkait MK.. Mater Sci Eng C Mater Biol Appl. 2015 Jul 1
- Multifunctional layered gadolinium hydroxide nanoplates for ultrahigh field magnetic resonance imaging, computed tomography and fluorescence bioimaging.. Wu M, Li L, Yu X, Zhang D, Sun T, Li X, Sun L, Lui S, Huang X, Bi F, Wang H, Zhu H, Gong Q.. J Biomed Nanotechnol. 2014 Dec
- Understanding Regeneration of Arsenate-Loaded Ferric Hydroxide-Based Adsorbents. Chaudhary BK, Farrell J. Environ Eng Sci. 2015 Apr 1: Environ Eng Sci