Non-Surgical Management of Gastroduodenal Fistula Caused by Ingested Neodymium Magnets.

Author(s) Phen, C.; Wilsey, A.; Swan, E.; Falconer, V.; Summers, L.; Wilsey, M.
Journal Pediatr Gastroenterol Hepatol Nutr
Date Published 2018 Oct
Abstract

Foreign body ingestions pose a significant health risk in children. Neodymium magnets are high-powered, rare-earth magnets that is a serious issue in the pediatric population due to their strong magnetic force and high rate of complications. When multiple magnets are ingested, there is potential for morbidity and mortality, including gastrointestinal fistula formation, obstruction, bleeding, perforation, and death. Many cases require surgical intervention for removal of the magnets and management of subsequent complications. However, we report a case of multiple magnet ingestion in a 19-month-old child complicated by gastroduodenal fistula that was successfully treated by endoscopic removal and supportive care avoiding the need for surgical intervention. At two-week follow-up, the child was asymptomatic and upper gastrointestinal series obtained six months later demonstrated resolution of the fistula.

DOI 10.5223/pghn.2018.21.4.336
ISSN 2234-8646
Citation Phen C, Wilsey A, Swan E, Falconer V, Summers L, Wilsey M. Non-Surgical Management of Gastroduodenal Fistula Caused by Ingested Neodymium Magnets. Pediatr Gastroenterol Hepatol Nutr. 2018;21(4):336-340.

Related Applications, Forms & Industries